SQL Server 2014 Service Packs?

• I noticed that there's SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 2 CU4 and Server Pack 3 CU18 in WSUS.. KB's 4500180 and 4500181 respectively.

I am a LITTLE hesitant to install these,, as the old adage, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it,,

however, i'm wondering if i don't install these, will I potentially have problems in the future when the next CUs come out? Should i be installing these? and if anyone has installed these already,, did it bring up any problems for you?

We're running a windows server 2012 R2 VM hosting our Great Plaines and SQL Server2014,, i hate to try to install this and have it 'break' our GP..

figure if i do it, i'd create a checkpoint in hyper-V anyway, but i thought i'd reach out and ask what are any of you's thoughts?

• CUs are cumulative. You don't have to install CU's, but it's often recommended as they contain bug fixes (technically you don't have to install SP's but they are highly recommended), but when you do they include all updates from prior CU's; this is why they are called a cumulative. You should, however, at least be installing security fixes on your instance. What is the actual SQL Server version you are running?

Though there is no CU18 for SP3, it's only at CU4, and SP2 ended at CU18 (I suspect you have the SP numbers the wrong way round). Considering that you have both SP2 CU18 and SP3 CU4 being prompted, I assume you are running a SP2 (CU something).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply