SQL Server 2014 passive DR instance license

• Hi,

I have 3 production servers replicating data to a DR server. I am not planning to use the DR server for anything other than DR.

I did some reading on this, but it is still unclear to me if I can have the license for the DR server free. It says you can have a passive node in the cluster for DR, but I have no cluster.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Roust_m (3/3/2016)

Hi,

I have 3 production servers replicating data to a DR server. I am not planning to use the DR server for anything other than DR.

I did some reading on this, but it is still unclear to me if I can have the license for the DR server free. It says you can have a passive node in the cluster for DR, but I have no cluster.

Any ideas?

Thanks

YOu really need to talk to a licensing expert here, but, my understanding for SQL Server is that you do not need a license for a DR server as long as it isn't being used for anything, including backups, DBCC checks, etc... But I am not a licensing expert and you really need to talk to one.

• In SQL Server 2014, you must have SA (Software Assurance) for a standby or passive node. This includes DR.

We no longer get 'free standby' servers, unfortunately.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply