sql server 2014 ag on vmware vs vmotion

• Was going to build new sql 2014 active/passive cluster with AG and a read only node all on a new vmware environment. System admin want to use vmotion instead of 2014 active/passive. I have heard that if I use vmotion with the AG read only this may have some problems. Any one want to weigh in on this

• Was going to build new sql 2014 active/passive cluster with AG and a read only node all on a new vmware environment. System admin want to use vmotion instead of 2014 active/passive. I have heard that if I use vmotion with the AG read only this may have some problems. Any one want to weigh in on this

why would you need both AG and vmotion?

If you use A/G you will have both nodes - a primary and a secondary. It will flip to secondary after an issue occurs.

• It is an issue of using only one solution of the two, Microsoft is pushing not to use the Vmotion with AG

• krypto69 (1/19/2016)

why would you need both AG and vmotion?

VMotion is the mechanism VMware uses to migrate a running VM from one host to another.

An Availability group provides redundant copies of a set of databases which can also be used for readonly queries, so the two do very different things. VMotion may interfere with AGs due to the brief suspension of the VM whilst control is passed from one host to another, usually it's quick but this is not always the case

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• VMotion is the mechanism VMware uses to migrate a running VM from one host to another.

An Availability group provides redundant copies of a set of databases which can also be used for readonly queries, so the two do very different things. VMotion may interfere with AGs due to the brief suspension of the VM whilst control is passed from one host to another, usually it's quick but this is not always the case

? umm yep..agreed. That's why I asked.

Seems to me that you would use one or the other, but probably would not need both.

• that's what I want to avoid, with active/passive cluster not an issue, any hiccup with Vmotion and now my AG read only server could be hosed. Gives me one vendor to blame

• vMotion only helps for hardware failure, AG for either hardware or software failure.

vMotion supports the infrastructure team in allowing standard OS, drivers, easily replaced hosts.

AG supports the dba team, allowing SQL & Windows patching.

• Andrew G (1/19/2016)

vMotion only helps for hardware failure

Vmware DRS uses Vmotion to move vms around to balance usage across the hosts in an esx cluster

Andrew G (1/19/2016)

AG for either hardware or software failure.

vMotion supports the infrastructure team in allowing standard OS, drivers, easily replaced hosts.

AG supports the dba team, allowing SQL & Windows patching.

Vmotion doesnt provide a readable or standby secondary database.

Availability groups provide a readable or standby secondary, they also provide fault tolerance in the case of a replica failure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply