SQL SERVER 2012 is down and unable to start the services

• SQL Server 2012 server got crashed and unable to start the services.Below is the error from sql log file :

2013-07-24 06:45:30.89 spid5s Error: 17053, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2013-07-24 06:45:30.89 spid5s SQLServerLogMgr::FixupLogTail: Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.) encountered.

2013-07-24 06:45:30.89 spid5s Error: 5159, Severity: 24, State: 13.

2013-07-24 06:45:30.89 spid5s Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.) on file "E:\mssql\MSSQL11.DEV\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf" during FixupLogTail.

2013-07-24 06:45:30.89 spid5s Cannot recover the master database. SQL Server is unable to run. Restore master from a full backup, repair it, or rebuild it. For more information about how to rebuild the master database, see SQL Server Books Online.

and when tried to keep the user in single user mode to restore the master database i am getting the below error.

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 : SQL Server Network Inte

rfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]. .

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 : Login timeout expired.

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 : A network-related or in

stance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server

. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and i

f SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see

SQL Server Books Online..

Not sure what went wrong and what i need to do to bring back the server online.

• Have you lost your E drive in the crash? Are your user databases there as well?

• MY E Drive is working fine and i am able to access it and the files in the drive . i do have some user database on the server

• So, what's happened to the path in the error message? Assuming this has corrupted/been lost, restoring master from a backup would sound like the best plan:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190679.aspx

Bear in mind that this kind of corruption/error is almost always down to the underlying I/O sub-system, you may well find that other databases are at risk of corruption - you should run checkDBs on everything once master is restored and follow up with your server team.

• I was trying to restore the master database but couldn't able to connect to sql server using sqlcmd and even when i use the single user mode flag. in this situation the restore is possible?

• sharath.chalamgari (7/24/2013)

I was trying to restore the master database but couldn't able to connect to sql server using sqlcmd and even when i use the single user mode flag. in this situation the restore is possible?

Did you start SQL Server in single user mode, as per the article above?

• HowardW (7/24/2013)

sharath.chalamgari (7/24/2013)

I was trying to restore the master database but couldn't able to connect to sql server using sqlcmd and even when i use the single user mode flag. in this situation the restore is possible?

Did you start SQL Server in single user mode, as per the article above?

Apologies, you answered that in the text I quoted! I'm assuming something else is stealing the connection? Try starting it up with -m"sqlcmd" to restrict clients to SQLCMD. This should stop something else stealing the one connection before you can connect.

• we resolved this is issue with the help of the OS people, there was an issue with the VM and the drive. once the server got rebooted the issue got fixed and the server is online.:-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply