SQL Server 2012 gone after upgrade to Windows 8.1

• I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 on my desktop box. When I sat down to work today SQL Server seems to have been removed!

I searched "Windows 8.1" in this forum and did not find anything (my search Fu may be uninstalled too) and a google finds some folks with the same problem.

One recommendation that kept coming up was to do a repair so I am trying that now (downloading media again).

So much for getting anything done.

• I may be mistaken, but I thought the "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 was actually a full reinstall of the OS? One of our infrastructure staff here found this out when going from 8 to 8.1 last week.

• liteswitch (11/6/2013)

I may be mistaken, but I thought the "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 was actually a full reinstall of the OS? One of our infrastructure staff here found this out when going from 8 to 8.1 last week.

dunno about full re-install. It definitely did not wipe my apps or most settings. Visual Studio is still installed and still working. The service for SQL Server Express says "starting". The SQL Server Configuration Manager did not have any services listed.

• Last night I hit exactly the same issue.

Previously I had SQLServer 2014 dev edition, SQLServer 2008R2 Dev Edition

Upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1

When tried to connect through SSMS - every attempt failed.

went into services.msc : NO SQL Server Services available (strangely integration services were listed?)

unable to navigate to configuration manager as that location now no longer exists.

found a link that launches configuration manager -C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mmc.exe /32 C:\windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager12.msc

but even trying to start the sql instances from in there - all failed

tried running the repair tool - kept getting errors (Security IDs not mapped etc) - tool did partially appear to work as services.msc now showed SQL Instances - sadly though still could not start any of them.

Still trying to find an answer to get this working

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply