SQL Server 2012 Concat

• When I run it says 'concat' is not a recognized built0in function name.

• its new function added in SQL 2012

Pramod
    SQL Server DBA | MCSE SQL Server 2012/2014

in.linkedin.com/in/pramodsingla/
    http://pramodsingla.wordpress.com/

• Thanks

• Nice and simple. Thanks, Pramod!

• Carlo Romagnano (7/9/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (7/9/2013)

Nice straightforward question. Good to see a question about another new feature in SQL 2012.

However, introducing a weird ODBC function into T-SQL seems to me a bad idea. It's treatment of NULL is a mechanism to allow people to continue to misuse null once the ability to switch ANSI nulls off is removed, and continue to write obscure buggy code instead of cleaning things up.

I guess the ability to write (for example) "concat(5,6,7,8)" and get 5678 might be considered useful, because it saves a bit of typing - not in the case of literals since "'5'+'6'+'7'+'8'" is 15 characters and so is the expression with concat - but when the arguments are column names "concat(c1,c2,c3,c4)" is quite a lot shorter than "cast(c1 as varchar)+cast(c2 as varchar)+cast(c3 as varchar)+cast(c4 as varchar)" but I don't believe the benefits of being able to do that (of similar things with float) outweigh the scope for misuse of this form of null handling, so on balance I feel concat is something I would rather live without.

CONCAT makes life easy!

While I can certainly see the advantages of replacing NULL arguments with empty strings, as does the CONCAT function, I also see Tom's point. Improper handling of NULLs already causes enough trouble, and it just seems like a function that doesn't require a developer to think consistently about the issue may encourage bad habits. Those bad habits could be especially troublesome when MS finally deprecates the ANSI_NULLS OFF and CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF settings. MS is reintroducing behavior in the CONCAT function that it is eliminating in all other contexts by deprecating the CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF setting.

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (7/9/2013)

Carlo Romagnano (7/9/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (7/9/2013)

Nice straightforward question. Good to see a question about another new feature in SQL 2012.

However, introducing a weird ODBC function into T-SQL seems to me a bad idea. It's treatment of NULL is a mechanism to allow people to continue to misuse null once the ability to switch ANSI nulls off is removed, and continue to write obscure buggy code instead of cleaning things up.

I guess the ability to write (for example) "concat(5,6,7,8)" and get 5678 might be considered useful, because it saves a bit of typing - not in the case of literals since "'5'+'6'+'7'+'8'" is 15 characters and so is the expression with concat - but when the arguments are column names "concat(c1,c2,c3,c4)" is quite a lot shorter than "cast(c1 as varchar)+cast(c2 as varchar)+cast(c3 as varchar)+cast(c4 as varchar)" but I don't believe the benefits of being able to do that (of similar things with float) outweigh the scope for misuse of this form of null handling, so on balance I feel concat is something I would rather live without.

CONCAT makes life easy!

While I can certainly see the advantages of replacing NULL arguments with empty strings, as does the CONCAT function, I also see Tom's point. Improper handling of NULLs already causes enough trouble, and it just seems like a function that doesn't require a developer to think consistently about the issue may encourage bad habits. Those bad habits could be especially troublesome when MS finally deprecates the ANSI_NULLS OFF and CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF settings. MS is reintroducing behavior in the CONCAT function that it is eliminating in all other contexts by deprecating the CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF setting.

While this function is mistreating NULLs in the pure sense, I am going to be grateful for being to replace some long and complicated to read expressions that include CASTs, ISNULLs and occasionally NULLIFs.

I suppose it comes down to if the NULL is being used as an unknown or as a no value.

We could look at the function slightly differently and rather than saying it treats NULLs as empty strings, say that it ignores NULLs while concatenating:-) similar to the aggregate functions

• Easy one, thanks for the question.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks .....

• Nice question. On of the first editions of the .NET data libraries had NULL value operator and could not read or assign NULL to a value.

IMHO - NULL values are useless and concat helps us reduce the amount of ISNULL code needed when having to parse together names when the Middle name may be NULL value 45% of the time, a non breaking space 10%, a '' or empty string.

Thanks M$ for adding something that acts more like & and less like the add function.

• Nice and interesting question..

Thanks..

• I did not know the difference until I type this SQL statement on SQL Management Studio 🙂

“Let your ‘Yes’ mean ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No’ mean ‘No.’ Anything more is from the evil one.” (Matthew 5:37)

• The answer isn't correct because "it depends"!

I answered it correct but only because of the standard settings for the session parameter [CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL].

SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF;

GO

SELECT session_id, concat_null_yields_null FROM sys.dm_exec_sessions WHERE session_id = @@spid;

-- now it is the default behaviour and the expected answer of QotD

select concat(null,'testString') as a

, null+'testString' as b

SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL ON;

GO

SELECT session_id, concat_null_yields_null FROM sys.dm_exec_sessions WHERE session_id = @@spid;

-- now both concatenations will return the same result!

select concat(null,'testString') as a

, null+'testString' as b

As others said - good question because of the amount of failed answers. But this - little - issue is worth to be mentioned 🙂

Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    MVP - Data Platform (2013 - ...)
    my blog: http://www.sqlmaster.de (german only!)

• good question 🙂

• Good one. 🙂

• Nice N EZ

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply