SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn

• Hi,

Do you guys know if I can set up a new SQL Server cluster with AlwaysOn Availability groups as follows:

- One node inside the local network

- Another node in the DMZ

Any problem, or is it possible?

• crcoracle (1/16/2014)

Hi,

Do you guys know if I can set up a new SQL Server cluster with AlwaysOn Availability groups as follows:

1) You don't need a SQL Server Cluster to do Always On. It can be done, but adds in a number of gotchas that need to be worked around.

2) Always On just needs a Windows Server Failover Cluster, which can be in different subnets but must be in the same Active Directory domain. You do not need shared storage for Always On.

Please do NOT just slap this together without some significant study or professional help. There are any number of ways you can get in trouble here.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• crcoracle (1/16/2014)

Hi,

putting a machine such as a cluster node in the DMZ is extremely risky, it'll likely get hacked fast.

Do you mean putting the node into the web facing zone, there is a difference.

What are you trying to achieve?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply