SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition Failover Clustering

• I would like to know if it is possible to set up the below failover instanalltion using Windows server 2008 enterprise edition and Sql Server 2008 standard edition.

4 node windows cluster

Node A

Node B

Node C

Node D

2 Active/Active sql failover cluster

On node A and node B install Active/Active sql failover cluster

On node C and node D install Active/Active sql failover cluster

I understand Sql Server 2008 Standard edition limits failover clustering to two nodes. But not sure at what level this limit applies. I thought the two node limit can be explained as below.

Sql Server Clustered Instance on node A and Node B

Sql Server Clustered Instance on node B and Node C

In This case Sql Server failiver clustering is involving three nodes. But in my proposed scenarion, clustered instances are limited always to two nodes. Or is it that the windows cluster itself got to be 2 nodes only. Could some one comment on this.

Thanks

• shijimon.jacob (1/10/2012)

On node A and node B install Active/Active sql failover cluster

On node C and node D install Active/Active sql failover cluster

the scenario above is perfectly valid

instance 1 is installed on nodes A and B

instance 2 is installed on nodes C and B

shijimon.jacob (1/10/2012)

Or is it that the windows cluster itself got to be 2 nodes only. Could some one comment on this.

Thanks

No, nothing to do with the amount of Windows nodes. Attempting to install instance 1 on node C or instance 2 on node A would produce a violation of the 2 node limit 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for your feedback.

Just to claryfy

Clustered Instance_1 on Node A and Clustered Instance_2 on Node B and the failover would be between them.

Clustered Instance_3 on Node C and Clustered Instance_4 on Node C and the failover would be between them.

This I want to try through building Virtual Server (VMWare). So my windows cluster will be a mix of physical and virtual servers (nodes).

SJ

• shijimon.jacob (1/10/2012)

Thanks for your feedback.

Just to claryfy

Clustered Instance_1 on Node A and Clustered Instance_2 on Node B and the failover would be between them.

Clustered Instance_3 on Node C and Clustered Instance_4 on Node C and the failover would be between them.

This I want to try through building Virtual Server (VMWare). So my windows cluster will be a mix of physical and virtual servers (nodes).

SJ

your information in your first post is incorrect then.

As long as you dont attempt to install a given instance to more than 2 nodes you're fine

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi,

So if I go for a 2 node windows cluster, I can have more than 2 clustered instances on them using Sql Server 2008 Standard Edition?

Windows Cluster with NodeA and NodeB

Clustered Istance_1 Active on NodeA. Would failover to NodeB

Clustered Istance_2 Active on NodeA. Would failover to NodeB

Clustered Istance_3 Active on NodeB. Would failover to NodeA

Is this ok with Sql Server standard edition?

Just trying to transalate "SQL Server limits you to two nodes for SQL Server Standard."

Thanks

• shijimon.jacob (1/18/2012)

Hi,

So if I go for a 2 node windows cluster, I can have more than 2 clustered instances on them using Sql Server 2008 Standard Edition?

you're now confusing multiple intstance installations with your issue. SQL Server 2008R2 Standard will let you install a max of 25 instances on a failover cluster.

Under Standard edition you may have no more than 2 nodes participate as a possible owner for any given instance. So,

Windows Cluster with NodeA, NodeB and NodeC

Clustered Instance_1 installed on NodeA. You then install on NodeB. You now cannot install it on NodeC

Clustered Instance_2 installed on NodeB. You then install on NodeC. You now cannot install it on NodeA

Clustered Instance_3 Active on NodeC. You then install on NodeB. You now cannot install it on NodeA

etc, etc, etc

• Hi

Thanks for your clarification on this.

One of the articles on MSDN states the below.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee308825(v=bts.10).aspx

"SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition supports 2-node failover clusters. If you decide to use the active/active/passive configuration on SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2005, you must use the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server."

active/active/passive would mean Node_A (with Clustered Instance_1) & Node_B (with Clustered Instance_2) are active and Node_C is passive (well, Instance_1 and Instance_2 would failover to Node_C). This seems to be conflicting with what yous said earlier "Under Standard edition you may have no more than 2 nodes participate as a possible owner for any given instance."

Thanks

SJ

• shijimon.jacob (1/20/2012)

Hi

Thanks for your clarification on this.

One of the articles on MSDN states the below.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee308825(v=bts.10).aspx

"SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition supports 2-node failover clusters. If you decide to use the active/active/passive configuration on SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2005, you must use the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server."

The article above, as far as i am concerned, is only serving to confuse you further. The explanation i have previously given is correct.

In my example I have a 3 node virtual cluster running on 3 nodes.

NODEA, NODEB and NODEC. I have 2 instances running Standard edition as follows

NODEA has DBASNODECLIN1\INST1 installed and NODEB has been added as a failover partner = 2 nodes

NODEC has DBASNODECLIN2\INST2 installed and NODEB has been added as a failover partner = 2 nodes

Any attempt to add INST1 onto NODEC or INST2 onto NODEA results in an error message within the add node rules section of the SQL Server 2008 installer.

shijimon.jacob (1/20/2012)

seems to be conflicting with what yous said earlier "Under Standard edition you may have no more than 2 nodes participate as a possible owner for any given instance."

Thanks

SJ

Personally, I wouldn't pay to much attention to that particular article 😉

The node limit is at the SQL Server instance level and NOT the OS level. The installer makes checks to esnure that the clustered instance does not exceed the limit of installation to more than any 2 nodes.

• Thanks for the clarification. I do appreciate your help on this.

• Hi Perry,

You mentioned about three node virtual cluster. Do you use VMware or any other product for creation of your VM?

Thanks

Shiji

• Yes I have VMWare ESX4i at home and VMWare Server 2.0.2 on my laptop.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply