SQL Server 2008 running on Windows 2003 or 2008 with AWE

• Does dynamic AWE add additional overhead to SQL Server?

• mchou (9/21/2009)

Does dynamic AWE add additional overhead to SQL Server?

Quite an open-ended question, not sure how it would, you are allowing SQL Server access to more memory.

plus the fact you are asking a sql 2008 question in a sql 2005 forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• mchou (9/21/2009)

Does dynamic AWE add additional overhead to SQL Server?

Which version are you running?

running 64 bit wont have an influence.

running 32 bit and more than 16gb ram yes.

Please supply more detail on our question?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Correct.

It is nothing about averhead with AWE. During startup, SQL Server reserves only a small portion of AWE-mapped memory. As additional AWE-mapped memory is required, the operating system dynamically allocates it to SQL Server. Similarly, if fewer resources are required, SQL Server can return AWE-mapped memory to the operating system for use by other processes or applications.

• A little more details about relation a AWE-mapped memory and SS Edition:

The physical memory accessible by AWE depends system you are using. The following list provides the maximum physical memory accessible by each Windows Server 2003 operating system at the time of writing. Of course we are talking about 32-bit systems only.

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition supports physical memory up to 4 GB.

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports physical memory up to 32 GB.

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports physical memory up to 64 GB.

• Yes it is !

But if you need to address more than 8GB RAM on a 32-bit system, it is the only option.

from books online (BOL) SQL2008

SQL Server supports Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) allowing use of physical memory over 4 gigabytes (GB) on 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems. Up to 64 GB of physical memory is supported. Instances of SQL Server that are running on Microsoft Windows 2000 use static AWE memory allocation, and instances that are running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 use dynamic AWE memory allocation.

Note:

Support for AWE is available only in the SQL Server Enterprise, Standard, and Developer editions and only applies to 32-bit operating systems. Analysis Services cannot take advantage of AWE mapped memory. If the available physical memory is less than the user mode virtual address space, AWE cannot be enabled.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• My argument would be "no", since on x32, it's required to get more than 4GB addressed.

• IMO the question tended to "would it hurt to always activate AWE" .... That answer is "Yes".

Don't enable it, if it is not needed.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply