SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services on a named cluster instance

• I have installed SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services on an named cluster instance. Reporting services works fine on the node that it was installed on, however when the SQL Server 2008 named instance fails to another node, reporting services no longer works.

I know that reporting services is not cluster aware so I don't know what to do to make it so that the URL points to the node that it is installed on?

In addition, is there a way to install Reporting services on all the nodes (5 of them) so that this named instance and all the other named instances can have their reporting services work.

Thanks alot for your help.

Patti:-)

• You would want to look at scale-out deployments or a NLB, depending on your license setups and budgetary requirements.

• Thank you very much. I will search out how to configure reporting services scaled out.

Patti:-)

• Short answer:

• Install SSRS as a standalone instance one 1 server
  • Configure the 1st instance normally
  • Export the encryption key (backup) from the first instance using Reporting Services Configuration Manager
  • Save the backup file somewhere safe and secure (don't leave on the server), like source control
  • Install each additional instance of SSRS with the option to configure later
  • Copy the encryption key (backup) from the first instance to each other instance
  • As you configure each additional instance using Reporting Services Configuration Manager, start by importing the encryption key from the backup file
  • Configure each instance to connect to the same SQL back-end and join them to the existing farm
  • Configure Windows Load Balancing (NLB) with each of the SSRS instances as members
  • Make sure all instances are active in NLB

• My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Thank you. I am making progress. We are testing as we speak.

I will let you all know if I am successful here very soon.

Thanks.

Patti

• Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply