SQL Server 2008 R2 - mirroring setup question...

• Hey gang!

My org recently setup a clustered server. The infrastructure guy installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Data Center version of SQL Server.

Today, I attempted to setup a mirroring operation from our production server running SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to the new clustered server, but I received an error message while configuring the mirror_server stating:

"You must connect to this server instance using a login or account with the necessary permissions to save the security configuration before continuing this wizard. "

I checked the Microsoft website, and it seemed to indicate that both editions of SQL Server 2008 R2 should support full mirroring.

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate info about this?

Thanks!

Larry

• Check the permissions of the account running mirroring. Not 100% sure but should be the service account.

• The Problem Which you post here is seems to be issue of Service account Permission on Both Server

1. First check on what account principal and Mirror Server are Running .

2. Check the Permission of Both the Accounts on each other Endpoint , if not grant permission on each other Endpoint.

Then Check if the issue is still there

Regrads

Satwinder

http://www.SQLCircle.com

• It looks like setting the Mirror configuration to use the "sa" account under the service account settings in the Mirror Wizard seemed to do the trick. I believe that previously, I had been leaving those fields blank (as I had done in the past) but it wasn't picking up/defaulting to an account with permissions.

Once I set up the service accounts for the principal/mirror/witness instances, the wizard completed the setup and began synchronizing the mirror.

Thanks for all of the help gang! You pointed me in the right direction and I got it to work! I think we'll all be sleeping better now! 😀

• The parteners need to be on the same edition of SQL Server.

• Yeah Ralph, I wondered about that too, but apparently it works between SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition and SQL Server 2008 R2 Data Center edition. It has allowed me to establish the mirror and Mirroring Monitor is showing that it is synchronized. hmmm.

• DataCenter, Enterprise (and Developer!) editions will return the same for

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('EngineEdition')

There's another 'catch' - product level or build level (version) doesn't have to be the same. It's ok as long as principal is on lower version then mirror. That's for rolling patching/upgrading. If principal is on 2005 and mirror 2008 then failover will suspend session, which can be resumed after completing process on original principal.

Hope it helped!

• Cool, I've never seen datacenter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply