SQL Server 2008 R2 Log Shipping Problem

• Hi, we have log shipping between one primary and two secondary SQL Server 2008 R2 servers,

in the secondary instances' error log there are (after each restore) although secondaries are set no recovery mode:

Starting up database 'XXX'

The database 'XXX' is marked RESTORING and is in a state that does not allow recovery to be run.

Is it normal? It seems server trying to recover the databases, I suspect this can make a lateness in the secondary performance, log shipping interval is 1 minute..

Thanks.

• sporoy (5/18/2012)

Hi, we have log shipping between one primary and two secondary SQL Server 2008 R2 servers,

in the secondary instances' error log there are (after each restore) although secondaries are set no recovery mode:

Starting up database 'XXX'

The database 'XXX' is marked RESTORING and is in a state that does not allow recovery to be run.

Is it normal? It seems server trying to recover the databases, I suspect this can make a lateness in the secondary performance, log shipping interval is 1 minute..

Thanks.

Not working in an environment using log shipping, however this sounds correct as the databases are left in a restoring state after each t-log file is restored with norecovery.

• You're correct but this is not the default behavior for log shipping in no recovery mode.

• Hi,

when secondary DB is put in norecovery mode and log backup happening at every 1 minute. So, restoring happening continuosly and that is the reason you were seeing such status I guess.

Please correct me if my guess is wrong.

• Hi let me explain by the error log records, (all instances are SQL 2008 R2):

For all my log shipping secondary databases error log looks like: (1 row per restore)

Log was restored. Database: AAA, creation date(time): 2011/06/13(11:23:02), first LSN: 310900:5467:1, last LSN: 310900:7171:1, number of dump Log was restored. Database: AAA, creation date(time): 2011/06/13(11:23:02), first LSN: 310900:3822:1, last LSN: 310900:5467:1, number of dump

For only one instance I have: (3 rows per restore although it is in no recovery mode)

The database 'BBB' is marked RESTORING and is in a state that does not allow recovery to be run.

Starting up database 'BBB'.

Log was restored. Database: BBB, creation date(time): 2012/04/12(17:12:15), first LSN: 1133563:14281:1, last LSN: 1133564:90363:1, number of

Why is this secondary db has different log records and does it effect restore performance?

Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply