SQL Server 2008 R2 Installation and Service Packs.

• Hi All,

I am new to SQL Server administration and learning it everyday.

I have some basic questions about installation. Please forgive if these questions are all already answered in a different topic.

I want to understand the installation methods.

1. What does RTM mean ?

2. What does cumulative updates mean?

3. How do I apply service packs on an instance that is running already..?

4. If I am going to install/create a new instance, do I need to first create the instance with the base installer and then apply the service packs..? or Is it just execute the service pack exe and it will do the job..??

Thanks!

Siva.

• mathusiva (1/27/2012)

Hi All,

I am new to SQL Server administration and learning it everyday.

I have some basic questions about installation. Please forgive if these questions are all already answered in a different topic.

I want to understand the installation methods.

1. What does RTM mean ?

Release to Manufacturing

2. What does cumulative updates mean?

patches that have been created and packaged together but not yet a Service Pack

3. How do I apply service packs on an instance that is running already..?

Service Packs have a "Setup" document that you can download from the same place the SP is downloaded.

4. If I am going to install/create a new instance, do I need to first create the instance with the base installer and then apply the service packs..? or Is it just execute the service pack exe and it will do the job..??

Thanks!

Siva.

You need to create the instance and then apply the service pack. Some installers have the Service Pack slipstreamed, but those should indicate that it is the base package and the service pack.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks Jason.

• Siva Ramasamy (1/27/2012)

Thanks Jason.

You are welcome.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• FineBuild aims to provide a SQL Server installation complete with requested Service Pack and CU plus best-practice configuration from just a single click.

I have also seen some other SQL installation tools published, and although I have to declare my interest in FineBuild as its author, it is worth looking around to see what can help and which works best for you.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• SQLRNNR (1/27/2012)

Release to Manufacturing

or Release to market!

SQLRNNR (1/27/2012)

You need to create the instance and then apply the service pack. Some installers have the Service Pack slipstreamed, but those should indicate that it is the base package and the service pack.

Slipstreaming is the scenario of applying the SP and\or CU during the installation using the RTM installer

A drop merged media is an installation media hybrid of the RTM installer and the SP and\or CU update files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply