SQL Server 2008 Mirroring Testing

• Glad you got it working. Just keep in mind two things about mirroring from a 2005 principal to a 2008 mirror:

1) You can't do snapshots

2) If for some reason your principal dies and you fail over to the 2008 mirror instance and make that the principal, you've just upgraded your database to SQL 2008 and can't restore it to SQL 2005 ever again. (OK, I suppose if you really wanted to you could manually extract all the data, or use one of the data transfer wizards, but it probably wouldn't be fun if your DB is very big).

The Redneck DBA

• Can I set up a SQL Server 2008 principal to a 2005 mirror? Maybe run the 2008 in backwards compatibility?

Thoughts anyone?

SQL Silvey

• No. You won't be able to restore your 2008 principal backup on your 2005 mirror server.

The Redneck DBA

• Hi Jason,

The last post dissappointingly answered a question I had. My other question though, is what process would you recommend for upgrading SQL 2005 servers that are taking part in mirroring.

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• dave-dj (4/26/2010)

Hi Jason,

The last post dissappointingly answered a question I had. My other question though, is what process would you recommend for upgrading SQL 2005 servers that are taking part in mirroring.

I haven't had to do that yet (all of our SQL 2K8 servers are supporting new apps, and we don't have plans to upgrade our existing 2K5 servers any time soon). I would think you would want to upgrade the mirror server first if you want to have a minimal impact on mirroring. (You can mirror from 2005-2008 for awhile if you need to).

The Redneck DBA

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply