SQL Server 2008 Intellisense! Love it or hate it?

• _______________
    bkDBA
    0.175 seconds -- 10 year average margin of victory at the Daytona 500
    212 Degrees

• Note: ONLY Applicable on SQL 2008 (as in you need SSMS 2008, and it only works if server is SQL 2008)

If I have Red Gate SQL Prompt installed, I don't use IntelliSense (e.g. my work laptop)

For every other SQL Server 2008 instance (without SQL Prompt installed), IntelliSense really helps a lot (servers)

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • How about disappointed. I was hoping for more. I guess I've been spoiled by Red Gate's SQL Prompt.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I was super excited about it, and while it may just be that I'm so used to coding without it that I can't appreciate it yet, so far it just seems like an annoyance. Half the time I've fully typed out the field name and hit return... except that only selected the field name I'd already typed instead of moving to the next line. Short field names like 'ID' are exceptionally annoying. The word-like syntax error red underlines are pretty cool tho.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. πŸ˜‰

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Garadin (10/9/2008)

I was super excited about it, and while it may just be that I'm so used to coding without it that I can't appreciate it yet, so far it just seems like an annoyance. Half the time I've fully typed out the field name and hit return... except that only selected the field name I'd already typed instead of moving to the next line. Short field names like 'ID' are exceptionally annoying. The word-like syntax error red underlines are pretty cool tho.

Hmm. I like the idea. But i'm getting red underlines on code which works. "Invalid object name" - only it's perfectly valid SQL which executes.

use MyDB

go

select * from dbo.Format f

has 'dbo.Format' underlined, but it exists in MyDB.

I'd use redgate sql prompt/refactor only I can't justify the cost at home (use it at work though -it's great).

Edit: Ah - about 2 minutes after posting this, while I was playing around with the query, the 'error' underlining went away. This is on a quad core PC which was doing absolutely nothing else, with a stock install of sql server 2008. Contrast this with RedGate's third party plug-in, which reflects changes immediately. Well on form for Microsoft!

• To me it's not horrible, but it is disappointing in compared to SQLPrompt. It works OK if you don't have anything else, but it's definitely a 1.0 implementation.

The biggest issue is not working downlevel to me.

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/27/2008)

To me it's not horrible, but it is disappointing in compared to SQLPrompt. It works OK if you don't have anything else, but it's definitely a 1.0 implementation.

The biggest issue is not working downlevel to me.

That was the biggest issue for me also, as well as having something that would work with Oracle also. So, we ended up purchasing SQL Assistant instead and I use that for all systems.

Jeffrey Williams
    β€œWe are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• alex (10/27/2008)

Garadin (10/9/2008)

I was super excited about it, and while it may just be that I'm so used to coding without it that I can't appreciate it yet, so far it just seems like an annoyance. Half the time I've fully typed out the field name and hit return... except that only selected the field name I'd already typed instead of moving to the next line. Short field names like 'ID' are exceptionally annoying. The word-like syntax error red underlines are pretty cool tho.

Hmm. I like the idea. But i'm getting red underlines on code which works. "Invalid object name" - only it's perfectly valid SQL which executes.

use MyDB

go

I'd use redgate sql prompt/refactor only I can't justify the cost at home (use it at work though -it's great).

Edit: Ah - about 2 minutes after posting this, while I was playing around with the query, the 'error' underlining went away. This is on a quad core PC which was doing absolutely nothing else, with a stock install of sql server 2008. Contrast this with RedGate's third party plug-in, which reflects changes immediately. Well on form for Microsoft!

All of the tools out there will have this same issue. If the current database context is not the database where the object exists - it will not be seen unless you use three-part naming convention.

Jeffrey Williams
    β€œWe are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Jeffrey Williams (10/27/2008)

alex (10/27/2008)

Garadin (10/9/2008)

use MyDB

go

All of the tools out there will have this same issue. If the current database context is not the database where the object exists - it will not be seen unless you use three-part naming convention.

Not true, as can been seen from my example. The error goes away eventually; it works in redgate; I'm specifying database with 'use' etc.

• I'm with most here, it isn't bad but it isn't what it could be when you compare it to SQL Prompt. I will say that it is not as sluggish as SQL Prompt when you get to the databases with a ton of objects to pull in. So, a plus there. πŸ™‚

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't put key words into upper-case. Apart from that, I'm just surprised it wasn't in 2005.

https://www.abbstract.info/ - my blog
    http://www.sqlsimon.com/ - my experiences with SQL Server 2008

• Not true, as can been seen from my example. The error goes away eventually; it works in redgate; I'm specifying database with 'use' etc.

I would bet anything that the reason the error goes away is because you have run the code, execute the Use statement and now the database context is the same as your Use statement.

Even in SQL Prompt - without the correct database context there is no way for the tool to identify whether or not the object you are specifying exists. I would be very surprised if SQL Prompt actually checks every single database for the object you specified with one or two part naming.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Now that I'm getting used to it (and occasionally begrudgingly adding my from clause before my select) it's working a little better. It's still pretty sluggish and occasionally annoying even with the from clause available (It's extremely annoying when it replaces a fully typed word with the first suggestion in it's list when it has absolutely NOTHING in common with the field I just typed... IE. Replacing "MyFieldThatYouCantFind" with "@@CONNECTIONS" when I hit tab)

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. πŸ˜‰

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Hi guys,

Out of interest. What permissions at database level have to use to be able to work with Intellisense in sql2k8 ? db_datareader is sufficient ?

Thanks

Miguel

• Hmm. I like the idea. But i'm getting red underlines on code which works. "Invalid object name" - only it's perfectly valid SQL which executes.

Have you tried refreshing the intellisense cache? (Ctrl + Shift + R)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply