Sql Server 2008 Installation error in Windows 2008

• Hi,

I am trying to install sqlserver2008 in windows2008 RC2 server but fails installation on almost completion state.

I already have Sql 2005 sp2 installed in the machine and it works fine. I am installing sql12008 as a standalone instance. Database engine,reporting services etc failed to install.

Then i tried to repair from the setup but it does nt work.

Opened services and tried to start the MSSQl2008 instance service but it fails and the error in the Eventviewer is

initerrlog: Could not open error log file ''. Operating system error = 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

When i googled for this few suggests the error is because the ERRORLOG is not present in the Log folder. But the file exists in that path.

Could anybody tell me the reason for the error? anyway to fix it.

Thanks in advance

• do you have anti virus on this server?

Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine

2009-12-09 04:58:50 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey

2009-12-09 04:58:50 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed

2009-12-09 04:58:50 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get registry value DW0201

2009-12-09 04:58:50 Slp: Submitted 0 of 8 failures to the Watson data repository

• Hi,

Yes the server has microsoft Forefront Client Security Antivirus installed. Could that be an issue??

Thanks

• I found out the problem .. !!!!!!

The startup parameters were not set for the SQl2008 instance. So i copied the the same from the other instance running and pasted for sql2008 instance

I opened Sql Server Configuration Manager from Start -Sql server . Right click on the instance of sqlserver - properties-Advanced Startup parameters and pasted the string like below

-dC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf;-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG;-lC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf

Varify the path given above exists. Then Start service .

If multiple instaces are there the it may give access denied error as some other process is using it. If so Copy the Log folder and make another Log1 folder and point the path in the startup parameters to this folder.

then Provide permissions for the Log1 folder for the users as given for the Original Log folder.

For each instace new user groups are created in Local Users and Groups. so the respective user should be given the permission to the folder

Hope it helps somebody scratching head for days like me ... 🙂

• Yes, This post really helped me out..

As in my case, it was added 'c' at the end of path of master db log and that file (MastLog.ldfc) was not available.

SQl Server properties --> Advance--> StartUp Parameter..

"-dC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf;-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG;-lC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldfc".

So just removed that 'C', applied changes and started back the SQL server Service and This time it got started fine without throwing any error message.

Thanks..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply