SQL Server 2008 Installation

• You will almost certainly need to reinstall Windows to fix this problem.

SQL Server 2008 install needs Windows Installer 4.5, and Windows Installer 4.5 needs .Net 2.0 SP2. The only way to get .Net 2.0 SP2 is to run the .Net 3.5 SP1 installer, which includes the .Net 2.0 upgrade.

The most error-prone part of the SQL Server 2008 install process is the .Net 3.5 SP1 install. If you run this on a newly-built Windows environment it normally works OK. If you install it on a Windows that has been patched over months or years, then it can fail. We had this problem on a lot of W2003 instances used by our developers when we wanted to upgrade to Visual Studio 2008. About 30% needed Windows re-installed in order to get the .Net 3.5 SP1 install working.

If you Google .Net 3.5 SP1 install problems, there are a few options for troubleshooting given, but many people find they do not always work. Even if they do work, your Windows environment will be left in a state that will be impossible to reproduce if the server is rebuilt. You can either spend a lot of time trying to get the .Net 3.5 SP1 install to work, or just go for a Windows rebuild. It is far quicker to just rebuild Windows.

Any upgrade strategy to SQL Server 2008 should include provision for the .Net 3.5 SP1 install failing, resulting in a Windows rebuild being required. If you want a predictable schedule for your upgrade, my advice is always reinstall Windows when you upgrade to SQL Server 2008.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I feel your pain.... here is a good resource blog site that has most known errors with dealing with SQL Server 2008 installs.

http://mark.michaelis.net/Blog/SQLServer2008InstallNightmare.aspx

I used it when standing up sql 2008 clusters.... that is a totally new can of worms.

• FYI...

I know what you are going through as I am myself.

Two days I have been trying to install SQL Server 2008 on a new WIndows 2008 Server and "Nada".

I have searched just about every site and blog to no avail.

I have never, ever been involved with trying to install an application like this.

Not even SQL Server 2005 was this bad and it took some time to get it done

And you are right. There is no log to tell you what is failing other than that stupid pop-up that says you need to install Net Framework 3.5.

There are only help logs that get created and they are of no help.

I would like to have a chat with the folks at MS that wrote this installation.

If I find anything out or get it installed, I will post it

Jim

• Are you installing on W2008 or W2008 R2? If you are using W2008 R2 then you need to build a slipstreamed media set that includes SQL Server 2008 SP1. It is also worth including the latest SP1 CU if you intend to apply that.

You can install SQL 2008 on Windows 2008 R2 without creating slipstreamed media, but only if you deal with the .Net install yourself by running OCSETUP("NetFx3"). Note NetFx3 is case dependant.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• We had a similar issue of the install failing with a message "SQL server 2008 setup requires .NET Framework 3.5 to be installed" even though the .NET 3.5 framwork was already installed. Tried all the uninstall .NET 3.5, re-install .NET 3.5, etc.

We had burned an .iso image of SQL Server 2008 to a DVD, and had been using that for the install. After all the fooling around, the solution that worked for us was to use a utility to mount the .iso image directly, and install from there -- the install finally went through without an issue.

Never figured what was the underlying problem. . .

Mike

• Hi Ed

using:

Microsoft Windows Server

Version 6.0 (Build 6002) Service Pack 2

Windows Server Enterprise

64 bit

Jim

• Thanks Mike

Jim

• Hi Folks

I forgot to mention that this windows server 2008 is a virtual server

not sure if that makes a difference

Jim

• It may be worth running OCSETUP("NetFx3") and rebooting, then retrying your SQL install.

• Thanks Ed

wil give it a shot

nothing to lose here

Jim

• Well...

not knowing what this is suppose to do, so i checked the even log:

The Windows component "NetFx3" was successfully installed. (Command line: "ocsetup.exe NetFx3 ")

ran sql server2008 install and same error

Thanks

Jim

• I had the same error when using a defect install media (corrupted/incomplete iso).

With a good iso: no problems at all

• Thanks Jo

believe that to be the case

am trying another copy of the media

Jim

• SQL Server 2008 represents a significant upgrade to the Microsoft Enterprise Services platform. What's New in SQL Server 2008 gets you up to speed with hands on-experience in using Transact-SQL (T-SQL), SQL Common Language Runtime (SQLCLR), the Resource Governor, Automatic Data Change capture, and the expanding Engine Eventing system. Learn to use the Spatial features and to leverage the new features in SQL Server Integration Services and Reporting Systems.

Infiniti FX45 Parts

• SQL Server 2008 represents a significant upgrade to the Microsoft Enterprise Services platform. What's New in SQL Server 2008 gets you up to speed with hands on-experience in using Transact-SQL (T-SQL), SQL Common Language Runtime (SQLCLR), the Resource Governor, Automatic Data Change capture, and the expanding Engine Eventing system. Learn to use the Spatial features and to leverage the new features in SQL Server Integration Services and Reporting Systems.

Infiniti FX45 Parts

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply