SQL Server 2008 install problem..

• Hi

I just installed MS SQL 2008 180 day evaluation enterprise ed, on my windows Vista business machine

When i open management studio and try to connect i get this :

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to DANIEL-PC\SQLEXPRESS.

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

I tried both windows authentication and SQL Server auth ... the passwords are correct ,

in the setup i used windows (current account- admin) to authenticate so this should work...

• Did you install a default instance or a named instance. I would also looked at the configuration manager and make sure the services are up. This would also allow you to check the name of the instance.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Yes, thanks that was it ... connecting to the wrong instance ... doh!!!

it was an older instance from SQL server Express ....

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply