sql server 2008

• hello,

someone can tell me what this message mean

An error occurred while executing batch. Error message is: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

i got it when i try to execute a select on a table of my database.

thank you.

• This has happened to me when the result set is too large to be displayed. Try returning less rows or use a different client application.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • In addition to just too much data, you can see this if you have extremely complex queries such as views that call views that join to views, etc.

Short answer, whatever you're trying to do, you don't have enough memory to do it. You either need to modify your query or you need to buy more hardware.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• To be clear, this is a client-side error. It's Management Studio that's running out of memory, not SQL Server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I've also received the error when I try to copy very large query results. The query runs, but about 1 second after I hit Ctrl-C, SSMS throws the error. Like Gail said, it's definitely in SSMS on my workstation; the server is fine.

• Stop trying to copy and paste millions of rows out of management studio.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply