sql server 2005 triggers

• I've dealt with triggers in the past but this particular table has six after update triggers on it. Is there any performance degredation for having all of these triggers? I know that part of the answer would be the logic within the triggers, but, I have always just had one after update, trigger to a table.

• you have kind of answered your own question. the answer is in the logic of the trigger. so if there is an insert command on each trigger, say into an audit table, then your performance impact is that of 6 inserts. You could bundle all the logic into the same trigger and it would effectively do the same thing.

certinaly no harm in having more than one at all 🙂

• There almost has to be at least a little performance impact, simply because of having to call each trigger causing memory and CPU use. That's probably trivial.

The main thing that would concern me with that scenario would be sequence of execution. If it matters at all, I'd consolidate into a single trigger.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Each trigger adds to the transaction time since it is included in the transaction that is doing the update. That can impact performance as locks are held longer to complete the total execution of the trigger.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/26/2010)

Each trigger adds to the transaction time since it is included in the transaction that is doing the update. That can impact performance as locks are held longer to complete the total execution of the trigger.

Yes, but that's pretty much going to be true regardless of whether it's six triggers or one bigger trigger. Assuming, of course, that the logic in the triggers is all actually necessary.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I would say that Gus' suggestion of one big trigger allows you to see all the code, and perhaps optimize it. You might have a trigger designed for a certain circumstance, but there's no need to even check for it if another trigger detects a different circumstance. Minor savings, but this can add up.

• Thanks for the info. I agree, if I had written this, it would be all in one trigger. That way your not calling six different triggers to do an after update and it would be easier to look at the contents of the code if it were all in one trigger. That's what I was thinking before this post.

Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply