SQL Server 2005 Std edition install question.

• Hello experts,

I have run into an issue I have never dealt with before, so I thought I would run it by you.

I am going to be installing SQL 2005 STD 32bit on a server running Windows Server Standard Edition build 3790. This server has other apps running on it.

We will be moving 2 databases over to this machine that one of the apps uses. When someone installed the SQL client on this machine previously, they also did a full tools install (not sure why). The following were installed: SQL Server Native Client, Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition – ENU, Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components,

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward compatibility, MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579),

SQLXML4, and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools.

It appears that no updates were ever installed.

My question is: Can I install the database engine without uninstalling tools, or should I uninstall as much as I can before doing the install?

I need to leave the client alone if I can. After the install, I will be installing SP2 and CU8.

I have only ever done clean installs on fresh servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”...Robert McCloskey

• General recommendation I gotten from Microsoft is not to install anything that is not needed on server. That included SQL Server Management Studio. I think other then the SQL Components; if other components are not needed they should be uninstalled. But as you said it is a shared server so someone else might need it?

As for patching I think SP2 and CU9 works (No issues thus far for me), or SP3 and CU1 .. (but I heard there are some issues; nothing major though).

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Thanks for the answer, but my real question is: will the install go alright if these pieces are already there?

I was not sure whether or not it would be better to uninstall them and then reinstall with the DB or just leave them alone and install the DB.

Mike

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”...Robert McCloskey

• It shouldn't cause issue to have these installed together. Because many developers I know have alot of those tools in addition to Developer Edition or full version of SQL installed on their systems.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Install worked as I thought it would. Pieces already there were recognized.

Install went fine. Updates then picked up everything.

Mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply