SQL Server 2005 SP2 Question:

• I was just handed a server today and was told that this weekend, I need to put SQL Server 2005 SP2 on it.

After looking at the server, I realized, it does not even have SP1 installed.

I can not recall if I need to put on SP1 first, or if I can go straight to SP2.

I wanted to ask here so I can get ready for the weekend.

Cheers,

Jason

• Service Packs are cumulative, so you should be able to just install SP2 w/out first installing SP1.

However, SP2 had some issues with maintenance plans, so if you use them you might want to consider this update: Critical Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2

• MIJ (8/6/2008)

Service Packs are cumulative, so you should be able to just install SP2 w/out first installing SP1.

However, SP2 had some issues with maintenance plans, so if you use them you might want to consider this update: Critical Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2

Thank you very much. Appreciate it.

Jason

• I have a problem with sql server 2005 maintenance plan for Check Database Integrity task...It is getting failed and gives the error that you have to set quoted identifier value.....is this someting which i can solve by installing those patches? Or it is different....and if it is different then what would be th solution....???

Thanks in Advance

• To my understanding, this has nothing to do with service pack. It is an property(setting) in SQL server and the usage is as follows:

SELECT "x" FROM Table

If QUOTED_IDENTIFIER is set to ON, "x" is interpreted to mean the column named x. If it is set to OFF, "x" is the constant string x and is equivalent to the letter x.

Please correct me if I am wrong

-Rajini

• RPSql (8/7/2008)

I have a problem with sql server 2005 maintenance plan for Check Database Integrity task...It is getting failed and gives the error that you have to set quoted identifier value.....is this someting which i can solve by installing those patches? Or it is different....and if it is different then what would be th solution....???

Thanks in Advance

I'm not sure about that particular error, but if you've already installed SP2 then you could certainly be having problems with Check Database Integrity and maintenance plans (see the KB article linked above). I went back through my notes and found this link: SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (SP2) Re-release and post fixes explained. It's a bit dated, but it nicely explains issues with SP2; the bottom line is that if you've installed SP2 you'll likely want to install GDR2.

• Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934458 concerning Check Database integrity problems. I'm pretty sure we installed GDR2 SP2 and Hotfix 9334458 to get around that specific problem.

• Thanks all for your replies and very informative links...Let me try them and I will let you all know the result..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply