SQL Server 2005 SP2? Any issues we should be aware of?

• The SQL Server 2005 SP2 was released yesterday.  

Any issues we should be aware of?  Will it take the system down?  Require a reboot?

Any good or bad feedback is welcomed

Thanks in Advance

Eric Peterson

• You need to have the services running when you start the install, but it needs to stop them to update them.  Since you've lost any performance gain from cached data/queries, may as well give the box a bounce for good measure once finished.

There is at least 1 issue with SP2; MS know about it but weren't able to fix it in time for the release.

If you are using SP2 SSMS to talk to a RTM or SP1 server, be warned that when building cleanup maintenance plans, with the introduction of the smaller time period (hours) (eg, deleted files older than x hours/days/weeks/months etc...), the values displayed in the plans are 1 higher than that implemented by the server:

I built a plan set to delete backup files older than 4 weeks.  However, when SQL runs the plan, it looks for files older than 4 months.  I had to update the plan to 4 days, which the system now treats as 4 weeks.  Once I apply SP2 to the relevant servers, I'll need to update the plans again.

They joy of administering a mixed environment.

Dave

AucklandSQL User Group
    Independent SQL Server Consultant
    SQL Server MVP
  • Well the roboot is good information.  We will have to wait for a system re-start for that install. 

And I am not doing anything with cleanup maintence plans....so I am safe there.

Thanks for your response.  

EP

• If using SP2 SSMS to talk to servers that do have SP2 installed, is there still the maint. plan issue?

The Redneck DBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply