SQL Server 2005 SP 3

• Lynn,

After some sleep and a review of this thread, I saw you had posted your logs. Here is what I found.

MSI (s) (58:74) [23:53:49:859]: Opening existing patch 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a88a8.msp'.

MSI (s) (58:74) [23:53:49:859]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a88a8.msp 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (58:74) [23:53:49:859]: Couldn't find local patch 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a88a8.msp'. Looking for it at its source.

This is the sqlrun_sql.msp from SP2, not SP3. I would guess that if you looked in c:\windows\installer\ you would not see the 286a88a8.msp file. Even if it is there go ahead and download SP2 and run with the /extract option. Compare the sqlrun_sql.msp file to the 286a88a8.msp file. If the file is missing or does not match then copy the sqlrun_sql.msp to c:\windows\installer and rename it to 286a88a8.msp. Then try SP3 again.

• Okay, I will look into that tomorrow morning (well, it is almost tomorrow morning now for me) when I get into work. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks

• It looks like you have similar issues with the other sql products as well...

sqlrun_dts

MSI (s) (58:FC) [23:54:47:000]: Opening existing patch 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a88fd.msp'.

MSI (s) (58:FC) [23:54:47:000]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a88fd.msp 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (58:FC) [23:54:47:000]: Couldn't find local patch 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a88fd.msp'. Looking for it at its source.

sqlrun_tools

MSI (s) (58:E8) [23:55:44:218]: Opening existing patch 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a8aa1.msp'.

MSI (s) (58:E8) [23:55:44:218]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a8aa1.msp 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (58:E8) [23:55:44:218]: Couldn't find local patch 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\286a8aa1.msp'. Looking for it at its source.

You should be able to follow the same guide as my last post for fixing these two as well. If after fixing these isses, it still fails, post the new logs. You may need to replace the files in a similar manner for you current build level KB948109.

• Lynn Pettis (1/7/2009)

Okay, I will look into that tomorrow morning (well, it is almost tomorrow morning now for me) when I get into work. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks

Any progress info ??

I've been able to apply SP3 (x64) with no issue at all.

For the first instance on this cluster it took about 20 minutes, the other instances needed about 10 minutes for the actual upgrade.

(All (4db/1AS) instances were selected to apply sp3 in a single run).

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (1/20/2009)

Lynn Pettis (1/7/2009)

Okay, I will look into that tomorrow morning (well, it is almost tomorrow morning now for me) when I get into work. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks

Any progress info ??

I've been able to apply SP3 (x64) with no issue at all.

For the first instance on this cluster it took about 20 minutes, the other instances needed about 10 minutes for the actual upgrade.

(All (4db/1AS) instances were selected to apply sp3 in a single run).

No progress. It is looking like some files maybe missing from the Windows/installer directory, but not quite sure what files. Going through that directory is not easy as i need to touch each file to determine what it is. Also comparing to the system where the install ran fine. I have had to push back a little on this issue the last couple of weks due to other more important fires that needed attention. Probably won't get much done this week on it, only in 2 days then out to an AYSO Section conference in Wichita, KS.

Hopefully (fingers and toes crossed) I'll know for sure next week what's going on with the Service Pack install. I'm not going forward with any of the other installs until I resolve this one. If I have the same issue on any other servers, I want to know what all I need to look at so I don't spend as much time there as I am now.

• I had similar problems installing SP3 on my x64 server (version 2005.090.3054.00) but have managed to get it working.

Initially all of the components (except Setup Support Files) failed to install. Looking through the hotfix logs all of the errors were similar too:

MSI (s) (8C:58) [09:16:12:484]: Opening existing patch 'c:\WINDOWS\Installer\1e2ee2.msp'.

MSI (s) (8C:58) [09:16:12:484]: Note: 1: 2203 2: c:\WINDOWS\Installer\1e2ee2.msp 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (8C:58) [09:16:12:484]: Couldn't find local patch 'c:\WINDOWS\Installer\1e2ee2.msp'. Looking for it at its source.

Following the suggestions on this thread I extracted the files out of the SP2 exe (I use 7-Zip), matched the appropriate extracted file with the missing msp from the log and placed them in the c:\windows\installer directory and re-ran the patch. This time the installation progressed further but still failed:

MSI (s) (4C:C8) [10:29:35:296]: Opening existing patch 'c:\WINDOWS\Installer\1e2ee2.msp'.

MSI (s) (4C:C8) [10:29:35:562]: Opening existing patch 'c:\WINDOWS\Installer\3632578.msp'.

MSI (s) (4C:C8) [10:29:35:562]: Note: 1: 2203 2: c:\WINDOWS\Installer\3632578.msp 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (4C:C8) [10:29:35:562]: Couldn't find local patch 'c:\WINDOWS\Installer\3632578.msp'. Looking for it at its source.

So it seemed happy with the first file, but now was looking for another one which I couldn't identify. Searching the registry for 3632578.msp found an entry in the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Patches\999035E6F9C8DC3469CF2B1F32F70DE1.

Searching for 999035E6F9C8DC3469CF2B1F32F70DE1 led me to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\52E2F41FFA999A2479C76F0D53D25CF9\Patches

which had 2 subkeys, one with the DisplayName for SP2 and the other was for GDR 3054 (KB934458) post SP2 hotfixes. Following the process above, I downloaded the hotfix from KB934458, extracted the files, matched them up with their respective msp entries in the hotfix logs, copied them to the installer directory and re-ran the patch. This time SP3 installed successfully for all components except for Database Services and Analysis Services.

I'm not sure whether the error being reported at this point was related to the above but for the sake of completeness I'll include it in here as well:

Using PrevRegRootPath: Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1

GetServiceUserGroup failed for MSSQLSERVER, 5

Error Code: 0x80070534 (1332)

Windows Error Text: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

Source File Name: sqlca\sqlcax.cpp

Compiler Timestamp: Sat Nov 22 04:53:51 2008

Function Name: SetInstanceProperty

Source Line Number: 1224

Eventually I was able to resolve this error by deleting several registry keys where the security identifiers for the local groups used to install SQL Server were kept:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\SQLGroup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\AGTGroup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\FTSGroup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\ASGroup

(This info was originally posted by Peter Yang - http://www.mydatabasesupport.com/forums/ms-sqlserver/149418-error-installing-sql-2005-sp2-kb-921896-a.html)

Running SP3 after this completed successfully. (If anyone's interested, the deleted registry were replaced with new keys by SP3).

HTH,

Brendan

• Brendan,

I had been wrestling with exactly this problem for quite a while, and your post got me on the right track. I identified the necessary patch files and manually updated the installer cache, which resolved the problem completely. Thank you for documenting your fix here.

-Richard Roth

• Okay, I am finally back to this. Spent much of the week investigating trying to determine what files were missing. I think I have found the files I need and I have them renamed and placed in the Installer directory. Not going to try to install SP 3 until tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed as I get ready to do that first thing in the morning.

• Fingers crossed. Good luck! Make notes, let us know how it goes. It will be good blog fodder 😉

• Eyes, hurt.

I need to thank everyone who provided suggestions and guidance on this problem. There were some missing files that i needed to find and replace in the Windows/Installer directory, so thanks to those above that also expereinced the same issue and posted what they did to resolve their problem, it helped.

Okay, this past week I spent going through the logs for the various updates done to SQL Server 2005 on both DWDEV01 (where SP 3 install failed) and DWDEV02 (where SP 3 install worked). I found where 9.0.3068 was installed on both servers, and after digging into the logs figured out what files were missing. Then came digging through the Installer directory and the logs on DWDEV02 to identify the *.msp files that I needed. Once I did that, and renamed them based on the logs on DWDEV02, I was ready to try and install SP 3. I can now report that I have successfully installed SP 3 on my server.

Again, thanks to all that helped. I don't know if i would have been able to solve this as i did if it weren't for the feedback from the community. I probably would have gone to a full rebuild of the server if it hadn't been for all of you. 🙂

• Fixed ... I had the same issue with SQL 2005 Express Edition

Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\MSSQLSever\SuperSocketNetLib\AdminConnection\Tcp

Change the value of TcpDynamicPorts from 0 to 1434

Re-install SP3

• I had a similar experience. Installed SQL 2005 Developer on my laptop as default instance (already had a named instance of SQL 2000). No problem.

Installed SP3. All except Database Services, Integration Services & Tools got patched, no problem.

The only errors I got (for each item) were:

Unable to create a temp copy of patch 'C:\0\SQL\Patches\SQL2005SP3\HotFixDTS\Files\sqlrun_dts.msp'

This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

No other errors. No packages missing, no tampering done with C:\Windows\Installer (seen that on another server, still haven't been able to get it fixed - I need to extract some files from some other hotfixes I think).

In the end, I ran Sysinternals Procmon to capture activity. Saw an ACCESS DENIED error (as per attached SQL2005SP3_AccessDenied01.png). Looked at the properties to see what account was being used (as per attached SQL2005SP3_AccessDenied02.png). Checked my NTFS permissions to the C:\0\SQL\Patches\SQL2005SP3\HotFixDTS\Files folder and found NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM had no rights at all. Added them in and all went OK.

Would've been helpful if the installer could have told me where it was trying to create its temp copy.

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply