SQL Server 2005 Review

• I've been asked to review and assess whether SQL Server 2005 is ready for prime time.  So I'm wondering a few things.  What is the current industry trend in rolling out SQL Server 2005?  Are the bulk of companies waiting for SP1?  Or are most shop just jumping right in and migrating existing 2000, 7.0 or even 6.5 app to SQL Server 2005? 

Also part of this assessment is to determine how well good a product is SQL Server 2005 was when it was finally released to the public.  To measure this we where thinking about trying to identify how many bugs have been found so far.  Is there any site where I can determine the number of bugs that have been found since the general release of SQL Server 2005 on November 7th? 

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• http://www.sqlsecurity.com has a hotfix database where you will see the pss hotfixes listed (3 so far)

Also you can search the microsoft web site for kbsql2005presp1fix to find fixes which have public q articles released.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Steven

• Based on our testing, we are moving all new project development to 2005.  Our current products will migrate individially as new releases come out. 

We are well into development of several new products on 2005 and so far, other than a rather steep learning curve, we've had nothing but positive results.  But that first step is a doozy! 

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• What in particular caused you a steep learning curve.  Was there one or two things that stand out as making it big?

I'm suprised that so far you are the only one that says there moving forward with using SQL Server 2005 for development on new projects. I'm wondering, since no one else has replied does it mean that the rest of the FORUM users are holding off implementing SQL Sever 2005?  Or are they just ignoring this post?

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Here new development is primarily on SQL2005.

The first challenge is to decide what components to install, and what surface area configuration settings to use e.g DAC. Functionality hangs together eg If you want to use maintenance plans you will need to install 'intergration services'. There are a number of these dependancys, hence working out what you use is important.

Steven

• The things that you are used to doing in earlier versions are generally not a big problem in 2005, since MS did a pretty good job of keeping it backward compatible.  It's trying to wrap your mind around all the new functionality, new syntax, and new concepts that takes some serious effort.

Things like shifting away from all the sp_ stored procedures and DBCC commands to using the new T-SQL functions to manage and troubleshoot etc...  Understanding how to use the CLR, Service Broker, Integration Services et al is a major change in the way you think about how to solve problems. 

And there are a lot of subtle differences too.  Even for experienced DBAs there is a lot to learn.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply