SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services and Report Manager

• Hi All,

I have created a report using MS Visual Studio and deployed it into the report server. It works fine.

For security purposes, I have selected the option in the properties of my datasource that says "Connect using credentials supplied by the user running the report." and " Use as windows credentials when connecting to the datasource".

When users have RS ADMINS roles try to view the report, it prompts for their credentials and they are able to view the report without any problems.

But when users having BROWSER roles try to view the report, it prompts for the username and password but they get this error after entering their credentials.

"An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Cannot create a connection to data source 'PowerCAMPUS'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors".

I am using Windows authentication to connect to the report server.

I am at a loss to understand what's going on ? Please help me out

Thanks

Shruti

• I had the same issue and created a SQL login for report users including my domain users and embedded the credentials in the data source and that seems to be easier for me anyway.

The link below explains granting permissions and access to SSRS report server access.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156014.aspx

Hope this helps. 😎

For help on getting help, follow the link below:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Thanks Micheal for the help.

I understood how setting permissions work in Report Manager. I was right till setting specific roles to people from Properties->Security->Edit Item Security->New Role Assignment. But I was not realizing the fact that setting this would allow only those users to access the report when they login from their window accounts.

I tested this by launching a new instance of the web browser using the "run as" feature and logged in as a test user. It works fine ! He is able to acces the report only if i set him as one of those roles. Not otherwise.

Thanks for the link.

Shruti.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply