SQL Server 2005 Performance Dashboard Reports

• Hello.

I found today link to Ms Dashboard: .

I have two questions about this.

1. What't performance impact when we turn on this utility on production SQL Server.

2. Anyone used this tool? What's your impression?

MCP ID# 1115468 Ceritified Since 1998
    MCP, MCSE, MCP+I, MCSE+I, MCSA,
    MCDBA SQL7.0 SQL 2000, MCTS SQL 2005

• I use it almost daily to monitor my production servers. Impact is minimal to none.

• I have not used that one, but I have just implemented this

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Monitoring/61373/

and am loving it. My oltp database is showing basically no performance degradation from running it. I am kicking this off hourly and I have a great historical record of performance of my systems over time.

I may use this data with reporting services to create my own dashboard...?

• BTW do you know how to stop this monitoring?

MCP ID# 1115468 Ceritified Since 1998
    MCP, MCSE, MCP+I, MCSE+I, MCSA,
    MCDBA SQL7.0 SQL 2000, MCTS SQL 2005

• if you are asking me about this article

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Monitoring/61373/

you stop the dts packages in the sql agent scheduler....the data it's pulling is always there in sql in the dmvs...I don't know of a way to stop that...?

• Performance Dashboard reports are based on dynamic management views and functions, new to SQL Server 2005.

The data returned by these objects resides exclusively in memory and is stored by the database engine by default during normal operation.

As such, the overhead from their use is minimal. There is a way to turn off storage of this information by the database engine. I think one needs to start the database engine with the -x startup parameter. But the price for this miniscule improvement in performance is the loss of valuable information on performance statistics. So I don't think turning this off is a good idea.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• From "Use Missing-Index Groups for Query Tuning", SQL Server Mag., April 2007, by Kalen Delaney

"You can disable the missing-index feature by starting an instance of SQL Server using the -x argument".

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• It is a very good tool. Easy to install and to use.

Check this early post:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic387360-360-1.aspx#bm388986

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply