SQL Server 2005 Logins

• Hello

I have a Sql 2000 and I'd like to migrate to sql 2005. The problem I have it's that on the Sql 2000 I have the password of SA less than 8 characters, is it possible to maintain the same password on SQL 2005?

Thanks

• If a program requires a login with the SYSADMIN role and rights to Master, will a login with the SYSADMIN role have rights to MASTER by default or does that have to be granted?

KU

• pclemares (7/3/2009)

Hello

I have a Sql 2000 and I'd like to migrate to sql 2005. The problem I have it's that on the Sql 2000 I have the password of SA less than 8 characters, is it possible to maintain the same password on SQL 2005?

Thanks

Yes, when you go to modify the sa account, toggle Password Policy Enforcement off. However, from a security perspective, you need to see about getting that SA account password to at least 8 characters.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• SequelDBA (10/1/2009)

If a program requires a login with the SYSADMIN role and rights to Master, will a login with the SYSADMIN role have rights to MASTER by default or does that have to be granted?

And login which is a member of the sysadmin role has all rights everywhere on a particular instance of SQL Server. Those rights are implicit. Basically, being a member of the sysadmin server role means the login ignores all security checks. So yes, it does.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• is there a work around in SQL 2005, 2008, 2008 R2 that allows for ;

alter login [DomainGroupName] DISABLE;

thanks

• Geoff A (1/24/2011)

is there a work around in SQL 2005, 2008, 2008 R2 that allows for ;

alter login [DomainGroupName] DISABLE;

thanks

No, this behavior is by design. What you can do is:

DENY CONNECT SQL TO [DomainGroupName];

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply