SQL Server 2005 Licensing

• I am new to SQL Server 2005 but worked with 2000 a lot in the past. I have some licensing questions regarding the installation of 2005 and was wondering if someone could help point me in the right direction.

I am attempting to install SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition but am not being prompted for a license model as what used to be the case when installing SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition. I went through the install but do not get prompted for a license model (either cpu or server/cal). Also, the media that I am using already has a license key entered on the "Registation Information" page...so I am thinking that this may have been automatically entered as a result of this.

My questions are:

1) How can I verify what license model was installed after installation?

2) Does SQL Server 2005 have something comparable to the SQL Server 2000 Licensing Setup Utility(that was in the Control panel)? If so, how do I access this now with 2005?

3) Why is a license key filled in for me already? I never used to see a key when I installed SQL Server 2000 and it used to give me an option on which model I wanted to choose.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

John

• You can query for the licensing mode: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlblog/archive/2006/11/10/tracking-license-information-in-sql-2005.aspx

I'm not sure why the product key was filled in. Possibly someone set up an unattended install and burned that to the media. I'd be a little wary of this as you might get something installed you don't want. Go back and get the original media so you know what's being added.

The licensing is more of an administrative option, not a hard limit, so don't worry too much about functionality.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply