SQL Server 2005 Express Questions

• I don't see a separate forum for SQL Server 2005, so I thought I would post here...

I downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express today and installed it (along with .NET 2.0). I'm trying to find the appropriate way to connect to the database. Somewhere, in one of the files, I saw that the name of the instance is "server_name/SQLEXPRESS," and I can use SQLCMD.EXE to connect with this name format. However, should SQL 2000 Query Analyzer be able to connect too? (I'm getting "SQL Server does not exist or access denied.")

Is there an Express equivalent to Query Analyzer?

Is there an Express equivalent to Enterprise Manager? (SQL Computer Manager appears to be an MMC app, but it looks pretty brain dead to me.)

Jon

• Well you have limited options here presently, remember the SQLExpress is a replacement for MSDE 2000 version

So the techniques for administration/development is essentially the same as it would be for MSDE previously, however for some GUI interfaces trying the downloadable Web Data Administrator (search on MS websites for this), it is pretty slow & some issue with 2005 Express to use as it was developed for 2000 etc..but can create databases & other objects.

I tend to create SQL scripts for the actions I want via EM on a SQL 2000 Database then when happy with code run this via SQLCMD etc.

Believe soem tools from MS are expected soon.. havent't tried VS 2005 beta 2 yet maybe this will be easier to use to maintain your SQL Express databases

Neil Hambly (DBA)

• Hi Shew01,

By default, connections from a remote machine to SQL Server Express will fail unless the networking is turned on. Only the shared memory on the local machine is accessible by default. To turn networking on, there are the following options:

• Use SQL Computer Manager to enable relevant protocols and start SQL Browser. (Computer manager|Services and applications|SQL Computer manager|Server Net... Configuration|right click the protocol and select enable)
    • Use DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 in the setup command line, if you know in advance that networking support is needed.

If you intent use SQL Express in future, I recommend that you reading this document..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsse/html/sseoverview.asp

BOL of the SQL Express edition also is very good

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2ADBC1A8-AE5C-497D-B584-EAB6719300CD&displaylang=en

regards..

Nilton Pinheiro

Nilton Pinheiro

• I went ahead and setup the following on my server at home:

Virtual Server 2005 with the SQL Server Express2005 and all the VS2005 betas.  If you install any of the other Betas (which you might as well if you already installed .NET 2.0) then you can just set up a data project and fly from there.  It's pretty slick in my opinion.

Otherwise, you'll have to do what Nilton pointed out.  The .NET utilities don't require the other options to be turned on.

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply