SQL SERVER 2005 DTS

• Dear Friends

Can anybody tel me,how to create DTS in SQL SERVER 2005

tel me steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mistakes are common.....and i am not an exception....
    catch me if i am wrong....

MAK.................!

• I don't think you can create new DTS packages. If you have the DTS designer components you can modify existing packages

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Firstly, in 2005 you have SSIS and not DTS. DTS is 2000 implementation. However, packages can be run in 2005.

Open up Visual Studio, create a new project, in solution explorer, right-click on SSIS Packages, and select new packages.

2005 is a complete rewrite of DTS in 2000. Its been split into two parts - WorkFlow control and Data manipulation.

Let's take a simple example of importing a text file into a DB table. You don't neccesarily have to create the table first as that will be done when running the package.

1. Create a text file and populate with data delimited by comma e.g.

product_id, product_desc, quantity

1,Online-books, 5

save text file somewhere in local drive.

2. In the Control Flow tab, select the Data Flow task, right-click and select Edit or Double-Click object. That automatically takes you into Data Flow tab.

3. In the Data Flow Sources pane, select Flat File Source and OLE DB Destination objects.

4. Drag the work flow (green) arrow from Flat File Source object and join to OLE DB object. The red is used to define your error messages on failure during execution.

5. Edit each object, first the flat file source, to specify the connections and ensure fields are mapped correctly. In the OLE DB object, ensure corresponding fields from source files are created and mapped.

6. Hit the play button on the menu to debug/execute package

Hope this should work well. You can have a read for further details: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/intro2is.mspx

• You can create DTS in sql 2005 using integration services.

OPen Visual studio 2005

File > New > Project > Bussiness Integence Project > Intgration Service Project

After Creating your DTS

Go to Sql Server Managment studio and connect to Intgration Services

Under -- Store packages > File system you can find your above mentioned dts package.

Thanks.

Debraj

• debraj.behera (7/9/2008)

You can create DTS in sql 2005 using integration services.

OPen Visual studio 2005

File > New > Project > Bussiness Integence Project > Intgration Service Project

That creates an SSIS project, not an old SQL 2000 DTS package

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply