sql server 2005 developer edition

• If you have any confusion regarding domain, i prefer to suggest you to go with option-1 as you did earlier... dont go for domain user a/c, install it with built in a/c..

"Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits"

• I have installed a new server into which i manage to connect but cannot connect from a remote machine. I dont see my old databases, how can i attach to it given the old server is "dead" ?

• -connect to your server by SSMS.

-go to 'Databases'.

-right click on that and select 'Attach'

-in open window, find the .mdf file location for your previous database.

-Click 'OK'

--Repeat above steps for all previous databases which you want to connect into new server.

Is your remote sql server located some where else and r u using it with any ip address? If yes then you need to register the server in your local server with 'Register Server', then only you will be able to connect that 'remote' server.

"Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits"

• Dude,

Please clarify what is your concern.

Your First question: You said you cannot install Client tools on a machine.

Above Problem Solved ?

Observation : I remember i use to install client tools by executing splash.hta ( from SQL Server 2005 media / binary files), and then I use to select install client tools only. But recently this option did gave me some problem. So I executed setup.exe file and at the stage of selecting components, I selected Client tools. Thats how I managed to installed client tools for sql server 2005.

Your second Question : You have a laptop/machine on which you want to install SQL Server, but you do not want to use built-in local admin account, (which is good), you said your computer is not in domain.

Observation: Every computer has its own workgroup, if it is not in any domain. You can still create a local user and your computer name will act as your Domain Name ( More precise word WORKGROUP)

To create a local user on the machine, Start ->Right Click My Computer / Computer -> Manage -> Computer Management Window will pop up. Using this tool create new users and add them to proper group ( Administrator or blah blah ....)

Lets Say:

Your Computer Name : YUkON

New UserName Created : Prod_User

Then,

When you go to SQL Server Installation , in account Name you will put your new created name (Prod_User) with password, and then in domain, you will put your Computer Name (YUKON).

Your Third Question : After you have installed SQL Server on a seperate machine, And you have installed Client tools on another machine, can you connect to that remote server installed on other machine?

Observation: Yes, but it is not straight forward, What I have read on internet,

Source :

http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/sql/thread.cfm/threadid:189

( Read Second Comment)

Your Fourth Question : I have configured everything, I still see, sql server does not exists ? Cannot connect to remote sql server.

Observation:

1. SQL Browser Service should be started ( Put it to Automatic Start on server reboot)

2. Under SQL Server Surface Area Configuration ( Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Surface Area Configuration, Click Surface Area Configuration services and connections, select sql server instance -> Expand Database Engine Node ->Click Remote Connections -> On Right Side click Local and Remote Connections -> Using Both TCP/IP and named Pipes. Click OK.

3. Check If your firewall is blocking. IF that is the case then you have to make an exception.

Suggestion : If you have a Windows Server 2003 OS. Why dont you set up domain.

see this video :

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=set+up+domain+controller

~IM

(Ignore any spelling mistakes)

• The install appears to be a little dodgy. I tried installing the software but the management studio never appeared in the start programs etc.

Uninstalled/Installed, concerned conflict with sql server express, uninstalelled visual studio, reinstalled/uninstalled etc.

After googling somewhere I found out the installer in a bid dodge

The advice was to drill down into \SQL Server x86\Tools\Setup\SqlRun_Tools.msi

This installs the management studio thingy

• Before trying to connect the server change the authentication mode of Destination to

'Sqlserver and Windows Authentication mode' in Server Properities.

• Thanks

• Thanks a lot,

My problem was resolved by adding a SQL user with a nick other then that of a Windows user login.

A client was successfully installed the same way you described. Authentication to SQL Server I selected "SQL SERVER authentication". I didn't find spelling errors in your notification, maybe because i make the same errors 😀

Thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply