SQL Server 2005 Clustering

• I just found out today that the company budget was approved for upgrading to 2005! 

Our current 2000 installation is not clustered, but my boss wants the 2005 version to be so.  I am assigned the task now of, not only learning the new version & upgrading our current dbs, but planning/implementing a 2005 SQL Server clustered environment with a 6-month implementation time frame.  I have no idea where to start.   

Anyone have any advice on good articles to get up to speed quickly on 2005 clustering?

Thank you for your assistance.

• First off you can do 2 node clustering with SQL Server 2005 Standard, which should make your boss happy with the budget.

Secondly, windows 2003 clustering in itself is a topic to learn - take this seperately.

Thirdly, in clustering you have many nodes, but one instance of SQL Server - don't confuse yourself thinking there are many SL Servers.

And fourthly, 2005 is cluster-aware, the installation will recognise the OS is clustered - you will need to supply a virtual SQL name and IP address.

Check out http://www.databasejournal.com for articles

• Here is a link to a video training resource for SQL Server 2005. You will have to register to use it. http://www.jumpstarttv.com/ My company just did a clustered installation of SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition on a two node cluster. Take head that you need to learn how to set up the Winsows host cluster prior to installing the SQL Server 2005 cluster. All the resources needed for the SQL Server 2005 cluster installation must be configured properly on the host cluster in order to successfully install SQL Server 2005.

• Simple question (I hope),

Is it required to have at least one Active Directory server in order to do clustering?

I like to keep things simple.  I will not use any of the Directory server services.

Thanks in advance,

Shane

• Hi,

as you need domain accounts for the windows-cluster you also need an AD envoronment.

Jochen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply