SQL Server 2005 64 Bit Installation

• Has anyone installed SQL Server 2005 64 Bit Standard Edition, yet?  Wondering if there were any issues...mainly interested in any pitfalls to steer clear of with 64 bit.

• Windows 2003 Server Standard x64
    Dual EMT64 Xeon Processors 3.00 GHz (64-bit)
    Dual Redundant Power Supplies (Hot Swap)
    1 GB DDR2 ECC Ram (2x512MB, 2 slots free)
    2 Available PCI-X Slots (Hot Swap) (64-bit)
    Ultra Wide 320 SCSI RAID Controller
    Dual GigEthernet NICs
    RAID1 (2x73GB) (Hot Swap)
    SQL Server 2000 Standard SP4 (64-bit);

We are currently running the 64 bit Standard edition on a Dell Blade server.   There were some security issues but for the most part it did help.  Most of the issue we were seeing did not involve SQL.  It was the virus, drivers and other applications that were still 32 bit.  The Xeon seemed to handle it though. 

• The 64-bit version of SQL Server 2005 is not integrated with Database Mail.  You have to set up a MAPI based account for SQL Server Agent.  That's the only thing I know of.

• I setup an (internal) SQL 2005 x64 Std. Ed. on Windows 2003 x64 Std. Ed. (which, I think, supports UP TO 32GB of RAM) on:

HP Proliant 585

4x Dual-core AMD Opteron 880

16GB RAM

6 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD - RAID 10

Note: It's exclusively an MS Sql Server - no other apps are running on it - so, not too much of a possibility for compatibility problems.

- The only trouble I had was finding Anti-Virus software for x64 Windows. I bought the new Symantec Corp. v10, as it now supports x64 systems . Other than that, and assuming you don't plan to run any strange/obscure 3rd party programs on your x64 server, you should be fine.

By the way, the HP 585 (as well as my HP Proliant 385 w/ 2 Opteron 275's) is MANY, MANY times faster than my new Dell 2x Xeon Dual-core w/ 12 GB RAM - i know it's not the most fair comparison - in any case, Intel needs to get their act together - as competition is a good thing ... )

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply