SQL server 2000 : strange bugs...

• Hi !

I'm using a MS SQL server 2000 on an IBM dual-Xeon serveur with 1 gig memory, under Windows server 2003.

I have every day a very strange problem : at the same hour, i have a bug with my database.

One day, a table seems to be corrupted, one other, it seems to be a bug in the data access application...

But each time, i just have to stop, and then restart the server to solve the problem ...

Very strange isn't it ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Julien

• Not really, probably either a known issue or some bad programming. ANy specific details around this you can provide?

• Thanks for you help.

In fact i don't have any programming details (that's not me who have done this soft), but it uses an Access frontend to access the SQL database.

Each hour, the server realize a backup copy of this database on another hard drive.

All the systeme have been working fine for 2 months.

In fact, they told me that they first setup a trial version of MS SQL, and then upgraded to the full version.

When I watch the "about box" in Enterprise manager, i have

Version 8.00.194

SQL DMO version 8.00.02

ODBC vers : 03.52.0000

• Can you post the exact error message that you are getting and the circumstances under which it is displayed?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• In fact there are no error messages.

Just a table become unavailable, or seems to be empty (but it is not), or some problems appears with the functions of the frontend.

And afert I restart MS SQL, everythings works fine

• Could it be a locking issue (eg table locked for update so other users can't access it)?  Might be worth running Profiler to check.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• To rule out any SQL Server issues, you may want to upgrade to the latest service pack (SP3a).  Also, you may want to try and close and re-open the access front-end the next time it happens.  Sometimes access can get squirrely.

• is there a maintenance plan set up against the database? are there any sql agent jobs running?

if so do they coincide with the time that you get the error.

i'd service pack your SQL server to sp3a and also make sure that your client software is running with jet service pack 8 or above.

also if you have any tables with BIT fields that allow NULL, then put a timestamp field in the table to prevent problems. it's a known problem with access.

MVDBA

• thank you all for your help

In fact, i may have found the bug.

We are using Windows 2003 server. First, a trial version sp3 of SQL server has been setup. Then, they bought a full version, and installed it over the trial version. The problem is that the full version is the original release (no SP) and it is incompatible with 2003 (i've that on MS support website). I think there is a mix between 2 versions, original and sp3, on the server, and it may be the source of all our problems. 

• if you want to keep up with the latest service pack versions download the micorosft baseline security analyser.

it's free and will tell you all hotfixes and service packs that are misssing from your server.

MVDBA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply