SQL Server 2000 Stopping Unexpectedly

• We have a SQL 2000 server configured to assist our web customers by tracking their current viewstate during a visit to our site.  The server occasionally just turns the SQLSERVERAGENT and the SQLSERVER services off.  The event log shows that SCM successfully sent the stop controls, but the User is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.  we would like to determine what is causing this!  The service appears to stop ~ 12:00 AM once a Month!  I would appreciate any light anyone could shed!

Thanks!

• Do you have a maintenance window for scheduled reboots ? Are there any scheduled tasks ? Have you checked the System Event log to see if the server is being rebooted ?

I have to ask these questions because a midnight reboot on the first of the month just sounds to 'methodical' (maintenance related) to me.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thanks Rudy,

We are thinking the same thing, but nothing is appearing in the standard places.  There are no scheduled tasks on the systems.  There actually is no maintenance plan defined on the systems, (the data is very transient!)  We have one SQLAgent job that is supposed to age out the data > 2 days old.  The event logs show no interactive user at the time.  Event viewer shows:

Source: SCM

Event ID 7035

User NT Authority\SYSTEM

Description:  The SQLSERVERAGENT service was successfully sent a stop control.

The SQLSERVER Service stops about 14 seconds after the initial request...

But who did it!

Thanks again.

• Okay, I have to ask, since we know the exact time of te shutdown from the System log, have you checked the Security log to see who/shat signed on just prior ? Also, by scheuled tasks, have you checked outside of SQL Server (Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tools) ? Also, open up a cmd window and enter "at" as the command. You've got a potential stumper here ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hey Rudy,

There is an unusual amount of logon/logoff activity from our 2 DBAs.  They are constantly logging in and out about every 5 seconds (540, 538, 576 events over and over....)  I am hoping that is related to an Enterprise Mgr connection of some kind. There systems stay on the wire all of the time. Any insight there?  The Local SYSTEM account did log in at 11:59:00 from the CCMExec process... (SMS!) but it logged back out less than a second later. 

Someone asked if this was an MSDN sourced install or from our Select set, and I honestly don't know, Is there any potential for issues there?  I would expect some sort of "Event" to let us know...

I don't want this to be a stumper!  I want it to be a simple Dean "head-smack" to get it behaving correctly!

Thanks again

• I checked my local management server security log and found the 540-538-576 style messages, in spurts, but not continuously . These messages seem normal. As for 'staying on the wire' all the time, that's not an issue either. Whether the source came from an individual CD, MS Select, MSDN or an EA license agreement should not make a difference as well. But you mentioned SMS at 11:59 ! Whose your SMS admin ? I ask this because SMS can 'deliver' remotely - it also can reboot remotely as well. If the SMS admins are not forthcoming, then stop and disable the SMS service(s) on your database server for the next upcoming 1st of te month and then take a wait and see ... That's all I can think of for now.

• I'm the SMS guy!  It is always my fault!

We are also looking at MOM to see if there is anything there.  All of these cool agents! (I also do the MOM admin stuff, already had it out with myself over unauthorized activities!)

Thanks for the discussion.  I'll try and update when we figuire this out!

• ... ahhh ... another 'team' player ...

... over here ther's a 3 person team - Me, Myself and I !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply