SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3a

• SP3A has been released by MS

(Extract from http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp)

SQL Server 2000 SP3a:

Improves serviceability for SQL Server 2000 Evaluation Edition. SP3a enables service pack upgrades for trial software. In the past, service packs have not been applicable to trial software.

Includes a new version of Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version 2.71a. This version fixes the installation of MDAC files and a memory leak. These issues are addressed in articles 814572 and 814410 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Disables listening on port 1434 when networking is disabled. This provides further protection from "denial of service" attacks.

Steven

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• What I don't understand is why MS says onit's site

quote:

If you have applied SP3, you do not need to apply SP3a. SP3a is only for SQL Server users who have not applied any versions of SP3. However, you should use SP3a rather than SP3 moving forward.

I mean if it contains new fixes and security settings, why wouldn't you want to implement them ?

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I think it is because the changes are so minor

ie 1 install problem

1 MDAC memory leak

1 new feature on the Network Library (ie disable listening)

Most people use the network library, hence other than the memory leak there is no advantage.

Steven

• OK, so its a minor release but why don't they change the version number on the service pack. It is exactly the same as SP3!

Surely they could have at least changed it from 8.00.760 to 8.00.761!

• I agree, but they didn't change the sql server exe in that release. The way to tell is to check the version on the netlibrary dll

Steven

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply