SQL Server 2000 service is not starting automatically

• Hello all,

I'm dealwing with a weird issue that the SQL server services is not even start at all after a reboot. This is not a failing so there are no relevant events or logs. The service, however, starts automatically when we use a Local System account. It only happenes when we use a domain account. Everything works normally once the service is started manually. We’ve tried adding SQL service to a dependency of RPC and NIC but but didn’t help.

Does anyone any idea why and how to resole this issue?

Thanks for your help~~

• There's absolutely nothing in the ERRORLOG?

How about the Windows Security Event Log? Any login failures reported there?

Is the service account enabled and not locked out? Has the password been entered correctly?

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• Thanks for your reply.

Well, nothing... the errorlog is not even get created becasue SQL can't even start it. There are no events in security log, no logon failure, account is actively used in other SQL servers and password didn't get reset it recently.

Also, the service starts successfully without any issues/errors when we start it manually. It seems like some kind of sequencing issue, like SQL service didn't get a change to start it due to some other servcies (or something) strated before SQL. This puts a server in ready state that no more services will be strated or drivers will be loaded... I'm not sure about this though...

Thanks again.

• Interesting.

The only other thing I can think of is, as you have stated, some other service that SQL Server implicitly relies on hasn't started up in time. Maybe NetLogon or something related to domain authentication, meaning that Service Manager can't verify the account.

Have you tried using a local account instead of a domain account (and I don't mean LocalSystem or any other system account)?

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• Yes, it is very interesting behavior... It seems like this is not just SQL issue, rather OS or AD issue that this server resides on. I tried using the same domain account for other services and got the same behavior. So, I may have to contact the OS/AD guys...

I'll post the resolution once if I can find it 🙂

Thanks~~

• when i start sql sever service it is starte but after some it will auto stop. log file we find below error

2008-07-25 11:17:52 - ? [350] Waiting for SQL Server to start...

2008-07-25 11:27:53 - ? [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases...

can anybudy give solution?

• onlykevaly2k - First off, don't hijack threads. A new topic would probably get you faster responses, IMO. Second, what service are you having issues with, the Agent or SQL? Here are a couple of links but they point to issues with the Agent and "lightweight pooling". Post back 1) if this doesn't apply to your situation, or 2) your resolution. HTH.

http://sql-server-performance.com/Community/forums/t/6009.aspx

http://www.devnewsgroups.net/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools/topic39032.aspx

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Did you ever get this fixed?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply