SQL Server 2000 - Memory Issues

• Hi All,

We are facing insufficient memory issues on one of our production box with configuration SQL server 2000 /Service pack 3. When this issue came all our Applications will stop working, restarting the SQL server service will do the trick,but our management is looking for a permanent solution. When this issue comes we are unable to open Query analyzer,even unable to run profiler.

Here is the error from my errorlog

Error: 17803, Severity: 20, State: 5 Insufficient memory available..

And also sometimes while writing the backup we see the issues in my error log as well, seems it's not an issue with disk space as we have 90 GB free space.

18210 : BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device E:\\DBNAME_backup_incremental.BAK'. Operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.).

Looking for some help and apprecaite your help in advance

Thanks,

Sharat

• Insufficiant memory is usually a local error on the dev machine.

The 2nd error is definitely an error about not enough drive space.

If you really have ram issue on your server I'll step out as I'll be a very little help.

• As i mentioned earlier we have 90 GB of space on the E drive. when we restart the services the backup jobs will work as usual. is there any other things that need to check and pinpoint the issue.

• sharath.chalamgari (11/15/2011)

As i mentioned earlier we have 90 GB of space on the E drive. when we restart the services the backup jobs will work as usual. is there any other things that need to check and pinpoint the issue.

If it fails every time you have something competing for that drive space and you need to be there to see it happen.

Maybe you do backup, then delete old backup. Which takes a heck of a lot more space.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply