SQL server (2000) logs doesn't show information related to taking database offline

• Hello,

Please if anyone has answers to this. I'm using SQL 2000 and yesterday some took the Database offline becuase of which all the backup jobs got failed.

I checked the SQL server logs but it doesn't show any entry related to that, even Event Viewer kept his hands clean. However, when I did the same thing on my test server(SQL server 2005), it does show entries in the sql sever logs as well as event viewer.

Please suggest.

Rgds,
    Pankaj

• There are a lot of things SQL2005 logs to the errorlog which you won't find in SQL 2000. I don't really understand what you want. 2005 is a different product than 2000 an soemtimes does things different.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Is there a question or something you want to know? You made statements, but I'm not clear what you want. Are you thinking 2000 should behave like 2005? I think Markus addressed that.

• Hello Steeve,

I didn't make statements ...those all were questions..sorry for not putting questions marks.... 🙂

I just wanna know if i can see, who actually took the database offline in SQL 2000? because when i checked the same in event viewer and SQL server logs, it didn't show me anything. So not sure if I can retrieve this information from somewhere...?

please answer.. hope this time I'm clear...:-)

Rgds,
    Pankaj

• Then only chance for determining this if it's not in the logs is using a log reader. I'm not sure if this is logged, but for 2000 you can download Log Rescue from Red Gate software and go through the logs (or log backups). It is a free tool

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply