SQL SERVER 2000 DataType

• And what happens if the Status is NULL? Does your code deliver the correct answer? That's all Jeff was trying to point out. He's trying to make sure you understand all the implications of the code you have proposed so you don't shoot yourself in the foot. At this point, the folks here have gone way beyond the call of duty to give you a hand. And I, for one, would still like to see a public apology to Gail.

And just as another helpful hint. Shouting on this, and most other, forums flags you as a troll pretty quickly. Please tone down the caps and the large fonts.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Lennie (9/13/2010)

Jeff,

I am surprise that you said the coding list below is not working.

Based on it the data export to Excel Spreadsheet display exactly what the Business Analyst Requested of 1 = Active and 0 = Inactive and the same data display on the VBNET2008 ListView is working very well too.

This is the working coding that I posted to share with others and you said it's not working and was surprised that you did not show sample coding to prove that it's not working. 😎

Select SupplierID, SupplierName,

Case Status when 1 Then 'Active' Else 'NotActive' as [Status]From TblSupplier

Read his response again, he didn't say it isn't working. What he said, Gail said, I said and others have said is that you don't know if it IS working. Your question was very badly worded, your responses have been rude and don't show that you understand the problem. You never stated that a Business Analyst requested specific meanings for 1 and 0. You still haven't indicated if the column allows NULL values. Do you know what a NULL value is? In fact, you stated that the DBA created the field, not a Business Analyst and that you didn't understand what the DBA told you.

Did this Business Analyst create the field in the first place? First you said you wanted to know "what 0 and 1 meant", then if 0 was Yes and 1 was No, finally you say that 1 is Active and 0 (or NULL, but you don't seem to realize that) is NotActive. Then when responding to Jeff, despite that your code says Active and NotActive, you tell him it means Active and Inactive.

At the very best, you're a very sloppy programmer. At face value, you don't know what you're doing, don't understand the task and are taking the frustration resulting from your ignorance out on the people here. People who are trying to help you, for FREE, do a job you're apparently being paid to do. If you're very lucky, this code of yours will work as intended, through no fault of your own and you won't cause your company a disaster. I'd say there's still a good chance you're wrong and 0 means Active and 1 means Inactive. Since you don't understand the topic, there's probably a good chance NULLs are indeed allowed and you don't even know what that'll do.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan krzywicki

As per your statement listed below and your critism you are wrong.

You are very very wrong making false accusation of me.

I did not create the table. It was the Database Administrator of created it based on the Business Analyst specification. The Database Administrator is using DataType BIT with value 1 and Zero and under the Allow Null column header it does not allow NULL. So whoever make the accusation is very very wrong.

Your statement Quotation:

Did this Business Analyst create the field in the first place? First you said you wanted to know "what 0 and 1 meant", then if 0 was Yes and 1 was No, finally you say that 1 is Active and 0 (or NULL, but you don't seem to realize that) is NotActive. Then when responding to Jeff, despite that your code says Active and NotActive, you tell him it means Active and Inactive.

• David Webb-200187 (9/13/2010)

And what happens if the Status is NULL? Does your code deliver the correct answer? That's all Jeff was trying to point out. He's trying to make sure you understand all the implications of the code you have proposed so you don't shoot yourself in the foot. At this point, the folks here have gone way beyond the call of duty to give you a hand. And I, for one, would still like to see a public apology to Gail.

And just as another helpful hint. Shouting on this, and most other, forums flags you as a troll pretty quickly. Please tone down the caps and the large fonts.[

And then again, I might be wrong ...

David Webb

/quote]

Yes, you are wrong. I too like to see you make public apology as well. I am not wrong. The SQL SERVER 2000 table creation was by Database Administrator based on the Business Analyst specification of using datatype BIT value of 0 and I and under the column Header of Allow Null do not tick on it to allow NULL. and under the default value properties set it to 0. On the Data Entry FORM , textbox validation check for either 0 or 1.

• (I think I'm going to regret getting drawn into this...)

Lennie,

It's not until these last two posts of yours that you mention that this field is set to NOT NULL.

Also... if the Business Analyst specified to set 1/0 why are you asking us what they mean? You should have asked your Business Analyst.

I, among many others, feel you owe many apologies based on your attitude and posting on this thread. Also, many of the others have privately black-listed you. I strongly suggest you swallow some crow, and apologize.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Hullo Lennie,

I feel so sad and so sorry for you that you have been abused by so called Helper here except Paul who have helped you and shared with you the SQL Coding while the ABUSER did not share with you instead they accused you instead of themself.

Thank you very much for sharing with us the working SQL Code that you modifed based on PAUL suggestion to suit your company Business Analyst. We have used your verson of it as well in our applications for the CALL CENTER

Thanks to YOU and PAUL for sharing information and sample coding.

Both of you are great in helping. My office other programmers have used your coding as well.

Regards

Alfred Coperman

• Dear Lennie,

Your sample SQL Coding that resolved your problem is also helping us. Thank you very much for posting the working SQL CODE here to share with us. You are very nice person. We are very impressed of you saying Thank you to Paul who showed you the sample coding and you work on it to suit your work environment.

Your sincerely,

Bloxham Peter

• WayneS (9/13/2010)

(I think I'm going to regret getting drawn into this...)

Lennie,

It's not until these last two posts of yours that you mention that this field is set to NOT NULL.

Also... if the Business Analyst specified to set 1/0 why are you asking us what they mean? You should have asked your Business Analyst.

I, among many others, feel you owe many apologies based on your attitude and posting on this thread. Also, many of the others have privately black-listed you. I strongly suggest you swallow some crow, and apologize.

• It's good that people have this code working in some small facet. Don't ignore the warnings of the forum though about making absolute certain that the bit conditions meet business requirements and that the code used is in line with documented business use of those bit columns.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (9/13/2010)

Lennie,

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am asking is because of the datatype BIT 1 and 0. Prior to posting the problem here me and my other programmers office mates did asked the Business Analyst for explaination but he refused to informed us by saying that we are programmer we should know the meaning of it. He has mistaken that we are not DataBase Designer and neither are we familiar with SQL SERVER.

I too feel like you that you should owe apology to me for accusing me. If your friend wants to black listed me that is fine. I will jolt down their names. As per your suggestion of swallow crow and apologise, you should refer it to yourself as well. If you are humble and not arrogant.

• Lennie (9/13/2010)

WayneS (9/13/2010)

Lennie,

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am asking is because of the datatype BIT 1 and 0. Prior to posting the problem here me and my other programmers office mates did asked the Business Analyst for explaination but he refused to informed us by saying that we are programmer we should know the meaning of it. He has mistaken that we are not DataBase Designer and neither are we familiar with SQL SERVER.

I too feel like you that you should owe apology to me for accusing me. If your friend wants to black listed me that is fine. I will jolt down their names. As per your suggestion of swallow crow and apologise, you should refer it to yourself as well. If you are humble and not arrogant.

I have read every post in this thread and I find it hard to believe that you believe that you are owed an apology. Many knowledgeable people have tried to help you and provide you the information you need to understand the BIT data type in SQL Server.

How you interpret the values in the column IS up to you (or the Business Analyst in your case). Just because he refused to answer your question is no reason to take it out on those who tried to assist you.

If you aren't getting the answer you expect from your question try looking at your question instead of getting upset with those who tried to answer.

Lastly, this is a professional forum, please act accordingly. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

• Lynn,

Lastly, this is a professional forum, please act accordingly. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Refer your above statement to others as well not to mistreat others as well.

Also refer it to yourself of not be fair to me pointing your fingers at me and not at other who abused me. If I am an expert in SQL SERVER I won't be asking for help here.

• I'm closing this thread. It's gotten a little silly overall.

Lennie, I would disagree that others have accused you of anything or been rude. They have tried to show you the implications of potential issues with the code and ask you to get other explanations. The fact that someone wouldn't give them to you is not the fault of people here.

I feel we have a bit of a language barrier here. No one is "accusing" you of anything. They are asking questions or asking you to think about how the datatype could be used.

As editor of these forums, I don't see that anyone owes you an apology.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply