SQL request performance problem

• Actually, hit save as sqlplan rather than show xml.

• SpringTownDBA (4/13/2012)

Jack Corbett (4/13/2012)

I know very little about FTS, so how does it handle BLOB data types since the OP has an NVARCHAR(max) column in the FTI?

The base table is only read during population, not during querying, so no difference.

If you look at the query plan for "select * from containstable(.....)" you'll see that it doesn't touch the base table at all.

during population, the effect of the column storage is the same as for a SELECT statement.

In FTI, is there any to "include" another column in the index, but "outside" of the fti?

He seems to have built this system to handle multiple sites (not pages, but full sites) at the same time. I'm hoping there's a way to avoid the cost of doing the fts for 100 sites and then filtering for only 1 site.

Maybe we'll have to do this in 3 steps where we first get the ids of the pages for the site, then join that in the fts...

Would that make any kind of sense?

• I didn't read the umpteen replies to the OP, but ANY TIME I see "ran slow the first time and very fast the second time" I IMMEDIATELY think the IO system sucks and it simply isn't getting the data into RAM fast enough the FIRST EXECUTION. After that the necessary data is sitting in the buffer pool and BAM - the query finishes in a flash. I think all this query plan, FTS, etc stuff is a red herring.

Do a file IO stall analysis during the first execution and I think you will see telephone numbers for the IO stalls trying to get this data off of disk and into memory.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Thanks Kevin!

Sorry for my ignorance...

How do I do a file IO stall analysis? What IO stands for?

Thanks!

Stéphane Demers
    Web/ecommerce Consultant
    CaméléWeb - ecommerce Solution: CaméléShop
    www.cameleweb.com[/url]

• TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)

I didn't read the umpteen replies to the OP, but ANY TIME I see "ran slow the first time and very fast the second time" I IMMEDIATELY think the IO system sucks and it simply isn't getting the data into RAM fast enough the FIRST EXECUTION. After that the necessary data is sitting in the buffer pool and BAM - the query finishes in a flash. I think all this query plan, FTS, etc stuff is a red herring.

Do a file IO stall analysis during the first execution and I think you will see telephone numbers for the IO stalls trying to get this data off of disk and into memory.

I've been on this case since november or december. I was told it's not only the first execution.

The bottom line is he needs help and can't / won't pay for it & won't give access to the servers. Now that I offered this free forum he can't follow directions either nor reply to our requests. Somethings gotta give on his end to make this work.

• CameleWeb (4/25/2012)

Thanks Kevin!

Thanks!

That's about 200-2000 hours of training out of your league. I wouldn't waste time on that if I were you.

You can barely walk and are now asking to run the Hawaii triathlon.

• Thanks Ninga...

By the way, I'm waiting for an access to let you look at the problem on my server. I already ask for your help, by email, and told you I'll pay for your service. I don’t have a lot of money, but I need to fix this.

Stéphane Demers
    Web/ecommerce Consultant
    CaméléWeb - ecommerce Solution: CaméléShop
    www.cameleweb.com[/url]

• Ninja's_RGR'us (4/25/2012)

TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)

I didn't read the umpteen replies to the OP, but ANY TIME I see "ran slow the first time and very fast the second time" I IMMEDIATELY think the IO system sucks and it simply isn't getting the data into RAM fast enough the FIRST EXECUTION. After that the necessary data is sitting in the buffer pool and BAM - the query finishes in a flash. I think all this query plan, FTS, etc stuff is a red herring.

I've been on this case since november or december. I was told it's not only the first execution.

The bottom line is he needs help and can't / won't pay for it & won't give access to the servers. Now that I offered this free forum he can't follow directions either nor reply to our requests. Somethings gotta give on his end to make this work.

Roger all of that...

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• CameleWeb (4/25/2012)

Thanks Kevin!

Thanks!

With that reply, reading some prior stuff, and what Ninja said, I cannot help you on this forum. You simply don't know enough to be able to solve your problem by yourself, even with a bunch of forum replies. Sorry about that, and that isn't a personal condemnation it is my belief based on available inputs. You need more knowledge and experience than you have to be successful.

Get professional PAID help, or continue to flop-and-twitch to solve your problems for more months - until a bigger problem gets your focus. The GOOD news is that if/when you DO get help they should be able to mentor you at the same time to improve your ability to investigate/solve future issues!

Best of luck with solving your problem and ESPECIALLY with getting your company to recognize the need for a consultant (or permanent senior-level staffer). It is so sad to see people struggle for half a year with problems that could likely be solved in a matter of hours by a qualified individual!!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply