SQL replication subscription will expire in 4 hours

• Hi, Our monitoring tool throwing below  for SQL 2008 replication in lower environment. Currently replication looks healthy. But I want to fix this alert and make sure to modify production replication settings if required.

SQL replication subscription will expire in 4 hours.

I checked publication properties. subscription expiration set to 'never expire'. Distribution properties - transaction and history retention set to 336 hours.

Is there any other area that i need to check to clear this alert? Please advise.

• HBK_4700 - Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:08 AM

Hi, Our monitoring tool throwing below  for SQL 2008 replication in lower environment. Currently replication looks healthy. But I want to fix this alert and make sure to modify production replication settings if required.

I checked publication properties. subscription expiration set to 'never expire'. Distribution properties - transaction and history retention set to 336 hours.

Is there any other area that i need to check to clear this alert? Please advise.

You need to check the subscription properties, not the publication.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• HBK_4700 - Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:08 AM

Hi, Our monitoring tool throwing below  for SQL 2008 replication in lower environment. Currently replication looks healthy. But I want to fix this alert and make sure to modify production replication settings if required.

In addition to that retention setting, check the retention settings in the distributor as well. Right click on replication folder, select Distributor properties.

Sue

• Thanks!  I changed the retention settings from 14 days to 20 days in the distributor properties. and issue has been resolved. 

Hi Steve (aka sgmunson) - was there any specific setting that you recommend to check in subscription properties ?

• HBK_4700 - Monday, September 17, 2018 11:09 AM

Thanks!  I changed the retention settings from 14 days to 20 days in the distributor properties. and issue has been resolved. 

Hi Steve (aka sgmunson) - was there any specific setting that you recommend to check in subscription properties ?

Was just hoping by looking through them you'd find something.   I don't touch replication often enough to remember the details.  Your original post made it appear you focused only on the publisher, and I was suggesting a change in focus to the subscriber, but apparently, it was the wrong road to pursue...   Sometimes I learn more from trying to answer a question than I do from posting one....:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• sgmunson - Monday, September 17, 2018 1:09 PM

HBK_4700 - Monday, September 17, 2018 11:09 AM

Thanks!  I changed the retention settings from 14 days to 20 days in the distributor properties. and issue has been resolved. 

Was just hoping by looking through them you'd find something.   I don't touch replication often enough to remember the details.  Your original post made it appear you focused only on the publisher, and I was suggesting a change in focus to the subscriber, but apparently, it was the wrong road to pursue...   Sometimes I learn more from trying to answer a question than I do from posting one....:hehe::hehe::hehe:

It's so non-intuitive though with subscription expiration being a property of the publication.
    A normal person wouldn't think to check the publication for that. I check there.  🙂

Sue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply