SQL record , table security

• I want to record sensitive information and store it on SQL server, System administrators should not be able to view the data. Only the department users should be able to view data. Or can the data be stored in encrypted form and suppling a key to it can decrypt the data back. The key should be known only to the department users.

Thanks in advance

• Hi,

You can't stop the System Admin account from seeing the data. Also I don't believe there is any kind of encryption/decryption of data within SQL Server.

Could you not have encryption/decryption code within your application to pass encrypted data to SQL Server and vice versa?

Clive

Clive Strong

clivestrong@btinternet.com

• There is an available encryption in SQL but it is known that it can be circumvented and is hard to impliment. I suggest if you want a key based easy to use encryption you can use DES or any of the other standards out there that have a high bit encryption level. However this wold have to be implemented on the client side not the SQL Server side.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply