SQL Random selection with NewID()

• I have seen on some web sites suggesting to use ORDER BY CHECKSUM(NEWID()) instead of using only NEWID() function.

I think it affects the seed of the NewId function to create real random numbers.

I guess it will add some more work to server but believe it will be more random 🙂

• Eralper (3/11/2010)

I have seen on some web sites suggesting to use ORDER BY CHECKSUM(NEWID()) instead of using only NEWID() function.

I think it affects the seed of the NewId function to create real random numbers. I guess it will add some more work to server but believe it will be more random 🙂

No. You are confusing NEWID() with RAND. RAND uses a seed, NEWID() does not.

CHECKSUM(NEWID()) is likely to have a better distribution of pseudo-random numbers, that's all.

• Eralper (3/11/2010)

I have seen on some web sites suggesting to use ORDER BY CHECKSUM(NEWID()) instead of using only NEWID() function.

I think it affects the seed of the NewId function to create real random numbers.

I guess it will add some more work to server but believe it will be more random 🙂

This will cause things to be LESS random.

Checksum returns an int (32bits) , and UUID is 128 bits.

So by converting to an integer there more collisions hence Less randomness.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Hi Dave and Paul,

So do you think it is better to use only NEWID() function?

Although using CheckSum() might result with a fine distribution of numbers.

• Ive run a quick test and select top(10) from a table of 54.3 million rows,

the checksum version runs in 23.9 seconds where as the plain newid runs in 22.9.

So in terms of performance not much in it.

I would personally use the plain newid() version.

There is no positive reason i can think of to use the checksum here.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Eralper (3/11/2010)

So do you think it is better to use only NEWID() function? Although using CheckSum() might result with a fine distribution of numbers.

Each has strengths and weaknesses making each suitable for use in different situations.

Summary: IT DEPENDS. 😀

• Dave Ballantyne (3/11/2010)

This will cause things to be LESS random.

Checksum returns an int (32bits) , and UUID is 128 bits.

Heh...less random, eh? 😉

:laugh:

• What !!!!

use a udf ? , (select null) will perform better 😉 😀

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (3/11/2010)

What !!!!

use a udf ? , (select null) will perform better 😉 😀

For the .NET-challenged, that was C# 😛

Paul

• Hi Jeff Moden, Hi Paul White.

I apologize if i provided insuffient information. That said, here's roughly what i want to achieve:

I have 4 tables in my database, one table is from [dbo.aspnet_Users] in the ASPNETDB.MDF. The rest 3 tables are Test, Questions and the UserTest tables.

The Test table contains QuizID, Title, Description, No_to_Display

After registration the user finds a bunch of test i yanked up from the Test table. Each test has its QuizID that is sent to start.aspx?testID=(QuizID).

Now i needed a means of randomizing Question. Earlier i came up with:

Create Procedure [questionSelector]

AS

Declare @QuizID int, @top int

set @top = (select Q. No_to_Display from Quiz as Q)

SELECT Top (@top )

[QuestionID],

[Title],

[Answer1],

[Answer2],

[Answer3],

[Answer4],

[CorrectAnswer],

[QuestionOrder]

FROM [Question]

WHERE ([QuizID] = @QuizID)

ORDER BY NewID()

After attaching the storedProcedure to my DetailsView Datasource from the Questions.aspx Page, i recieved the following error when i Debugged the page:

Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Procedure questionSelector, Line 5

Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

Msg 1014, Level 15, State 1, Procedure questionSelector, Line 6

TOP clause contains an invalid value.

Then i replaced the procedure entire with SCrazy's SQL statement above. This time i ran the statement directly from MSSQL Server, and the Output Was A set of numbers displaying in each column field instead of fetching the questions i already have in the Questions table.

I was hoping to see the table displaying random questions from the QUESTIONS TABLE , like so:

[QuestionID] 1

[Title] Who won the 1998 Soccer world cup?

[Answer1] Brazil

[Answer2] USA

[Answer3] Germany

[Answer4] Malaysia

then next time i try the same test, a different question should be displayed first.

Sorry for the length, i was trying to be as clear as i could

• SELECT iTVF.*

FROM dbo.Quiz Z

CROSS

APPLY (

SELECT TOP (Z.no_to_display)

Q.QuestionID,

Q.Title,

Q.Answer1,

Q.Answer2,

Q.Answer3,

Q.Answer4,

Q.CorrectAnswer,

Q.QuestionOrder

FROM dbo.Question Q

WHERE Q.QuizId = Z.QuizId

ORDER BY

NEWID()

) iTVF

WHERE Z.QuizID = @QuizID;

• Hi Paul white,

I've never come across iTVF. what does it mean?

• shawndidy (3/12/2010)

Hi Paul white,

I've never come across iTVF. what does it mean?

It is just an alias for the result returned by APPLY. Just like T1 in SELECT * FROM MyTable T1.

• I tried, its not giving me any errors. But its not fetching any data from the Question Table. The dbo.Question has already being polpulated with data. When i run the page, Its displaying a blank DetailsView on the Question.aspx page. i cant figure out why it is.

• I had to guess a bit.

Post full CREATE TABLE statements for the tables you have, plus INSERT statements to add sample data, and show the EXACT output you would like to see.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply