4 = Oranges 00000100

8 = Apples 00001000

16 = plums 00010000

32 = pineapple 00100000

*/

Insert into Bitmaskdemo

values (1,'Tesco',7) -- Bananas,strawberries & oranges 00000111

Insert into Bitmaskdemo

values (2,'Sainsburys',31) -- Bananas, strawberries, oranges, apples & plums 00011111

Insert into Bitmaskdemo

values (3,'Morrissons',8) -- Apples 00001000

Insert into Bitmaskdemo

values (4,'Waitrose',24) -- Apples and plums 00011000

Insert into BitmaskDemo

values (5,'Aldi',25) -- Bananas, Apples and Plums 00011001

Insert into BitmaskDemo

values (6,'Somerfield',9) -- Bananas & Apples 00001001

And i want the sql query to get sum of bitmasks as follows :

sum of 4 and 15 is 15 ,

Sum of 1 and 3 is 3 ,

and Sum of 1 and 2 is 3

• Please mention the requirement clearly

thanks
    sarat 🙂
    Curious about SQL

• HI Sarat,

From the table which i have given as above, I need the query to get the SUM of the bitmask values like :

eg : Select *

from BitmaskDemo

where Bitmask & 17 = 17

like that using SUM function i need select query where i will get for SUM of 4 and 15 as 15 since 4 already exists in 15

• There is no straight way to achive this. You might need to write complex code using BIT operators.

Why do you want to do BIT operations? What is your application requirement. There could be better solutions to your requirements than BIT operations.

• Please provide me the the query that works without using bit operators...

I need it very badly 🙂

• i think your issue is the display of a bitmask.

01011001 is a varchar representation of a bitmask.

you need to do all your math as integers, and display it with a bitmask(maybe);

i don't see any value to the bitmask.

anyway, by inserting integers into your data, you can do exactly what you wanted,a nd even demoed yourself.

CREATE TABLE BitmaskDemo

(ID INT PRIMARY KEY,

Supermarket VARCHAR(10),

SupermarketCart INTEGER

)

--Get a SuperMarket Cart:

--insert into BitmaskDemo(Supermarket,SupermarketCart) SELECT 'Tesco',0 --an empty cart

INSERT INTO BitmaskDemo(ID,Supermarket,SupermarketCart) VALUES (1,'Tesco',7) -- Bananas,strawberries & oranges 00000111

INSERT INTO Bitmaskdemo(ID,Supermarket,SupermarketCart) VALUES (2,'Sainsburys',31) -- Bananas, strawberries, oranges, apples & plums 00011111

INSERT INTO Bitmaskdemo(ID,Supermarket,SupermarketCart) VALUES (3,'Morrissons',8) -- Apples 00001000

INSERT INTO Bitmaskdemo(ID,Supermarket,SupermarketCart )VALUES (4,'Waitrose',24) -- Apples and plums 00011000

INSERT INTO BitmaskDemo(ID,Supermarket,SupermarketCart) VALUES (5,'Aldi',25) -- Bananas, Apples and Plums 00011001

INSERT INTO BitmaskDemo(ID,Supermarket,SupermarketCart) VALUES (6,'Somerfield',9) -- Bananas & Apples 00001001

/*

IDSupermarketSupermarketCart

2Sainsburys31

5Aldi25

*/

Select *

from BitmaskDemo

where SupermarketCart & 17 = 17

;WITH SupermarketData

AS

(

SELECT * FROM BitmaskDemo

),CTE (IntVal, BinVal, FinalBin) AS

(SELECT SupermarketCart IntVal, SupermarketCart % 2 BinVal, CONVERT(varchar(MAX),SupermarketCart % 2) FinalBin FROM SupermarketData

UNION ALL

SELECT IntVal / 2, (IntVal / 2) % 2, CONVERT(varchar(MAX),(IntVal / 2) % 2) + FinalBin FinalBin

FROM CTE

WHERE IntVal / 2 > 0)

SELECT right('000000000' + FinalBin ,7)

FROM CTE

WHERE IntVal =

(SELECT MIN(IntVal)

FROM CTE);

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks a lot Lowell, Can you just guide me how you could do SUM the bitmasks...that could be more great help

For eg : SUM of 1 & 2 = 3(1 & 2 are Maskvalues)

• rams.prsk (9/30/2011)

Thanks a lot Lowell, Can you just guide me how you could do SUM the bitmasks...that could be more great help

For eg : SUM of 1 & 2 = 3(1 & 2 are Maskvalues)

you had already provided the example, this is just a little more long winded of how to get some of the values:

declare @Bananas int

declare @Strawberries int

declare @Oranges int

declare @apples int

declare @plums int

declare @pineapple int

SET @Bananas =1

SET @Strawberries =2

SET @Oranges =4

SET @apples =8

SET @plums =16

SET @pineapple =32

Select *

from BitmaskDemo

where SupermarketCart & (@Bananas + @plums) = (@Bananas + @plums)

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• thanks Lowell 🙂 you saved me..that is what iam looking for...Iam new to this field..iam learning a lot now...could you please provide me some good example if u have on how to assign mask values and work on them.

• bitmasks are an old school way , from when memory cost dollars per bit, to maximize the amount of data stored in a byte. it had the cost of obfuscating the values from understandability...only someone who knew what the bitmask meant could figure out and use the data.

now , with a terabyte costing under $100 dollars, there's no need to complicate things and make data uncomprehnsible without the secret decoder ring. , so it's more than just frowned upon to use bitmasks in a DBMS system.

bitmasks do not follow one of the cardinal rules of Database Management systems: a column in a row contains *one and only one value* if you need 8 values, you use eight columns.

for educational purposes, there's a value, but i don't think i've seen a valid use of bitmasks in a while now.

You'd be much better off explaining what you are trying to do, so we can show you examples without trying to use bitmask at all.

Lowell

• Hi Lowell,

Thats nice to hear from you ...as told by you it would be great if you could provide me some examples

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply