SQL query to find last date a product was checked before it was installed

• I have two tables, one covers jobs for a product and the other covers the last time a product was checked over and by who. What I am trying to do is get the most last date the product was checked before it was installed. There is no set time period that the check could be done before the installation, it could be days or it could be hours.

Say lets say table1 (JobsTable) looks like this:

JobNumber   JobType         ProductType    Date

1                           Installation      ProductA               2020/02/01 13:00

2                          Fault                  ProductA               2020/02/13 12:22

3                          Installation       ProductB               2021/02/12 09:00

4                          Installation       ProductA               2021/02/02 08:00

And Table2 (ProductChecks) looks like this:

DateOfCheck         ProductType    CheckDoneBy

2020/01/01 09:00   ProductA              Person1

2020/01/03 10:00   ProductA              Person2

2020/01/31 17:00    ProductA              Person3

2021/01/12 10:00    ProductA              Person1

2021/01/19 10:00    ProductB              Person1

2021/01/31 10:00    ProductB              Person2

What I need to capture for each installation from table1 is the most recent check done on that product before it was installed. So the results using the examples above should look like this.

JobNumber   JobType         ProductType     Date                             DateOfCheckBeforeInstallation     CheckDoneBy

1                           Installation      ProductA               2020/02/01 13:00      2020/01/31 17:00                                        Person3

3                          Installation       ProductB               2021/02/12 09:00      2021/01/31 10:00                                        Person2

4                          Installation       ProductA               2021/02/02 08:00    2021/01/12 10:00                                         Person1

Does anyone have any ideas have I can achieve this result using a SQL query?

Thanks in advance.

• This should work for you

select j.JobNumber,j.JobType,j.ProductType,j.Date,ca.DateOfCheckBeforeInstallation,ca.CheckDoneBy
    from JobsTable j
    cross apply(select top 1 p.DateOfCheck,p.CheckDoneBy
    from ProductChecks p
    where j.JobType = 'Installation'
    and p.ProductType = j.ProductType
    and p.DateOfCheck < j.[Date]
    order by p.DateOfCheck desc) ca(DateOfCheckBeforeInstallation,CheckDoneBy);

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  •  

Assuming tables are joined on product type you could run through a CTE, use Row_number() to identify the most recent check and return your full list .....

;with res as (

select a.jobtype,b.*
    ,row_number() over (partition by b.ProductType order by DateOfCheckdesc) as RN --order descending to ensure most recent =1
    from JobsTable a
    join ProductChecks b on a.ProductType=b.ProductType
    where a.JobType='Installation'
    )
    select * from res
    where rn=1

***The first step is always the hardest *******

• This has done the trick, many thanks for your help on this. 🙂

• Mark Cowne wrote:

This should work for you

select j.JobNumber,j.JobType,j.ProductType,j.Date,ca.DateOfCheckBeforeInstallation,ca.CheckDoneBy
    from JobsTable j
    cross apply(select top 1 p.DateOfCheck,p.CheckDoneBy
    from ProductChecks p
    where j.JobType = 'Installation'
    and p.ProductType = j.ProductType
    and p.DateOfCheck < j.[Date]
    order by p.DateOfCheck desc) ca(DateOfCheckBeforeInstallation,CheckDoneBy);

This has done the trick. Many thanks for your help with this.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I need to check when function was changed last time. I know how to check creation date (it is in function properties window in SQL Server Management Studio).

I found that in SQL Server 2000 it wasn't possible to check modify date.

Is it possible to check it in SQL Server 2008? Does MS add some new feature in system tables that allow to check it?

My CC Pay

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  Gislason91.
  • Gislason91 wrote:

I need to check when function was changed last time

sys.objects gained a [modifed_date] column at some point, but I can't remember which SQL Server version

SELECT *
    FROM sys.objects AS O
    WHERE O.name = 'YourFunctionName'

will show you all the columns available. If [modifed_date] is one of them then your SQL Version supports that feature 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply