SQL Profiler - Duration

• I am troubleshooting a specific stored procedure in an application which is currently using two different hosts.

I notice the Duration column for the same procedure is drastically different from one server to another.

Does the duration column include time for the data to traverse the network and arrive at the particular app server? I thought this was just the time it took the sql server to run the stored proc.

Thanks,

Nick

• I have always understood duration in Profiler to include the amount of time it takes SQL Server to fill the last buffer sent to the client. For very large result sets or network bottlenecks, that can lead to a duration time that isn't reflective of the amount of time SQL Server took to process the query. I have seen instances in production where a web server under very heavy load can skew the data regarding a profiler trace because the application is slow to process the result set being returned by SQL Server.

You can read the following for some additional information:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/sqltools/thread/7d840eec-a594-4345-a902-d5ba65131c66

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply