SQL profiler does not have 'import performance data' option?

• Hi all,

I search on the forum but was unsuccessful in locating an answer. We're running SQL server 2000 and in this case SQL Profiler 8.00.2039. I captured a perfmon trace as well as a SQL trace today. I want to integrate the perfmon file with the Profiler file.

- I started profiler and loaded the profiler.trc file.

- Next I thought I should be able to go to File -> Import Performance Data to load the perfmon output. However there is no such option?. I don't mean it greyed out, it's not there at all?

- Both traces are for the same timespan.

- I ensured I loaded the profiler.trc file first and waited until it completely loaded.

Any idea's on why I have no option to import the perfmon data? Is there some setting, plug-in, something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Sp

• You aren't missing anything. The ability to correlate with perfmon data in SQL Profiler started in SQL 2005.

However, you can use SQL Profiler from 2005 to open a trace created in SQL 2000 and correlate perfmon data.

• Thanks Todd, we have an instance of Sql 2005 as well I'll try it there. Just thought that replaying on a different machine won't always work correctly as the DBid's etc may not line up, excluding the standard db's Tempdb, master, etc.

Stan

• Which SQL Server 2005 edition has the Import Performance Data function? I am using the Develper edition, and it is grayed out.

• leon03tian (2/18/2009)

Which SQL Server 2005 edition has the Import Performance Data function? I am using the Develper edition, and it is grayed out.

Try opening a saved trace file that contains both StartTime and EndTime columns, then import a Perfmon counter log. Correlating a trace to perfmon data is not a live operation.

Reference:

How to: Correlate a Trace with Windows Performance Log Data (SQL Server Profiler)

• Hi, thanks for your reply. I opened a saved trace file in SQL Server Profiler (Developer Edition), and the trace file has EndTime and StartTime columns and endtime and starttime data. Then, went to File, Import Performance Data... But the Import Performance Data opetion is still disabled. I do have some saved perfmon counter log files.

• I have had the "Import Performance Data" greyed out on profiler but when I restarted profiler it was enabled. Hope this helps

Code Singh

• I really dont know if anyone has figured it out but even after restarting, reloading the option was disabeled. So tried this n that and found that if the trace is aggregated , then this option is disabeled. So the solution is to right click on trace and uncheck aggregate view.....and THERE YOU ARE....

Online Trainer For SQL DBA and Developer @RedBushTechnologies with 18 yrs exp.

• I had the same issue...but after loading all the rollover trace files the option "Import Performance data..." automatically enabled. HTH - Nazeer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply