SQL /Procedure - for Transpose and Calculation

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

Data in the Test Formula is

TGT_PAYMENT_TYPEPAYMENT_FORMULA

SAL SAL-ADV

COMM ALL_1+ALL_2-ALL_3

BONUS SAL * 1.1

There's only one formula in the table? Are you expecting more? If so, can you show how they might look?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• there are 3 formula....!

SAL = SAL-ADV

COMM = ALL_1+ALL_2-ALL_3

BONUS = SAL * 1.1

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

there are 3 formula....!

SAL = SAL-ADV

COMM = ALL_1+ALL_2-ALL_3

BONUS = SAL * 1.1

Did you test the query I posted above somewhere?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris. I agree with your Query. My problem is that i need to make it Dynamic.

I can not use the Static way of implimenting this.

Can you please help me with the Stored proc which can update the data in the Cursor baed on my Formula.

I am looking forward for options to update my Procedure whcih i pasted in one of the posts.

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

Chris. I agree with your Query. My problem is that i need to make it Dynamic.

I can not use the Static way of implimenting this.

Can you please help me with the Stored proc which can update the data in the Cursor baed on my Formula.

I am looking forward for options to update my Procedure whcih i pasted in one of the posts.

That's straightforward enough. But first, can you explain a little why the query must be dynamic?

• Because formula are different for Different Scenario

I need to make it dinamic so that based on the Scenario Formula should be Take and Calculated.

SCENARIO - TGT_PAYMENT_TYPE - PAYMENT_FORMULA

NORMAL - SAL - SAL-ADV

NORMAL - COMM - ALL_1+ALL_2-ALL_3

NORMAL - BONUS - SAL * 1.1

MONTH - SAL - SAL

MONTH - COMM - ALL_1+ALL_2

YEARLY - BONUS - SAL+ALL_1+ALL_2

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

Because formula are different for Different Scenario

I need to make it dinamic so that based on the Scenario Formula should be Take and Calculated.

SCENARIO - TGT_PAYMENT_TYPE - PAYMENT_FORMULA

NORMAL - SAL - SAL-ADV

NORMAL - COMM - ALL_1+ALL_2-ALL_3

NORMAL - BONUS - SAL * 1.1

MONTH - SAL - SAL

MONTH - COMM - ALL_1+ALL_2

YEARLY - BONUS - SAL+ALL_1+ALL_2

How many scenarios will you have? I see 3: normal, month and yearly.

• yes and might increase at any point of time.

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

yes and might increase at any point of time.

So to summarise, you want to take three or four very simple queries and convert them into a series of statements which are so complicated and convoluted that you need help to write them - at the expense of performance, maintainability and any other criteria which you may choose to distinguish a good query from a less well written one. Are you really sure you want to do this?

• Yes I understand that, but need of time I need to complete it as per the Request.

• I will try to Explain you the Scenario and need Suggestion:

1. I have te table which is Similar to TEST_SRC for which will tipically has 4000 to 5000 Payment types, along with the County.

2. I need has a TEST_FORMULA which will be having Country.

3. We need to generate the data which will have the Payment Types as columns.

4. We need to now Update Couple of Column based on the Formula defined in the TEST_FORMULA.

Please need your help to guidance, which will be help to understand the process / Procedure whcih will help to achive the Above Steps

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

I will try to Explain you the Scenario and need Suggestion:

1. I have te table which is Similar to TEST_SRC for which will tipically has 4000 to 5000 Payment types, along with the County.

2. I need has a TEST_FORMULA which will be having Country.

3. We need to generate the data which will have the Payment Types as columns.

4. We need to now Update Couple of Column based on the Formula defined in the TEST_FORMULA.

Please need your help to guidance, which will be help to understand the process / Procedure whcih will help to achive the Above Steps

Here's what I recommend you do. While you only have one calculation one test case with 3 calculations, write one query to deal with it - similar to or the same as the one I've written for you above. Continue to write queries for new cases until you have five or six test cases with different sets of columns and different calculations, at which point you will also have a representative sample set of data and queries to post here.

This approach will provide you with a far more clear picture of the whole process, and will also provide us with sample data and calculations to build a robust solution for you.

• Thanks all for helping on this: below is procedure which does the Trick

Create procedure USP_TEST

@NAME NVARCHAR(20)

AS

BEGIN

IF object_id(N'tempdb..##TEMP_TEST') is not null

DROP table ##TEMP_TEST;

DECLARE @cols AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@query AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@cols2 AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@V_NAME AS NVARCHAR(20);

SET @cols = STUFF((SELECT distinct ',' + QUOTENAME(c.PAYMENT_TYPE)

FROM TEST_DATA_SRC c

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE

).value('.', 'NVARCHAR(MAX)')

,1,1,'')

SET @Cols2 = SUBSTRING((SELECT DISTINCT ',ISNULL(['+PAYMENT_TYPE+'],0) AS ['+PAYMENT_TYPE+']' FROM TEST_DATA_SRC GROUP BY PAYMENT_TYPE FOR XML PATH('')),2,8000)

set @query = 'Select 0 SAL_CACL,0 BONUS_CALC,0 COMM_CALC,name,' + @cols2 + ' into ##TEMP_TEST from

(

select name

, payment

, payment_type

from TEST_DATA_SRC

where name = '''+ @NAME + '''

) x

pivot

(

max(payment)

for payment_type in (' + @cols + ')

) p '

exec sys.sp_executesql @query--,N'@CUR_DATA cursor output',@CUR_DATA output

DECLARE CUR_TEST_FORMULA CURSOR

--Get the Update Query created for executing the same on the Fact Data

FOR

SELECT 'Update ##TEMP_TEST set '+ TGT_PAYMENT_TYPE + ' = ' + PAYMENT_FORMULA +';'

FROM TEST_FORMULA

OPEN CUR_TEST_FORMULA

DECLARE @Q_SQL NVARCHAR(MAX)

FETCH NEXT FROM CUR_TEST_FORMULA INTO @Q_SQL

While @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

print @Q_SQL;

EXECUTE (@Q_SQL);

END

CLOSE CUR_TEST_FORMULA

DEALLOCATE CUR_TEST_FORMULA

• I think you need to stop converting the source data to an excel-like pivot table and do your calculations inline.

It will make things much simpler.

Unfortunately, you did not provide a test sample, so fo my demonstration I used the one made up by Chris.

I changed a small part there - added a PayDate column: I belive you have something like this in your table.

CREATE TABLE #Sampledata (

PayDate smalldatetime,

NAME VARCHAR(25),

PAYMENT_TYPE VARCHAR(10),

PAYMENT DECIMAL(5,2)

)

You may embed all your formula variations into a single view:

SELECT

DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm, 0, PayDate) , 0) PayMonth, s.NAME,

SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'SAL' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) - SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ADV' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) [NORMAL-SAL],

SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ALL_1' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) + SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ALL_2' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) - SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ALL_3' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) [NORMAL-COMM],

SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'SAL' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) *1.1 [NORMAL-BONUS],

SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'SAL' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) [MONTH-SAL],

SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ALL_1' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) + SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ALL_2' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) [MONTH-COMM],

SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'SAL' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) + SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ALL_1' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) + SUM(CASE WHEN PAYMENT_TYPE = 'ALL_2' THEN PAYMENT ELSE 0 END) [YEARLY-BONUS]

FROM #Sampledata s

GROUP BY DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm, 0, PayDate) , 0), s.NAME

Than you may just select appropriate columns from the view for appropriate cases.

You may chose using dynamic SQL for selecting only required columns from this view, but I'd suggest to move this part to UI/Report module.

That's what they are for.

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

Thanks all for helping on this: below is procedure which does the Trick

Create procedure USP_TEST

@NAME NVARCHAR(20)

AS

BEGIN

IF object_id(N'tempdb..##TEMP_TEST') is not null

DROP table ##TEMP_TEST;

DECLARE @cols AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@query AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@cols2 AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@V_NAME AS NVARCHAR(20);

SET @cols = STUFF((SELECT distinct ',' + QUOTENAME(c.PAYMENT_TYPE)

FROM TEST_DATA_SRC c

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE

).value('.', 'NVARCHAR(MAX)')

,1,1,'')

SET @Cols2 = SUBSTRING((SELECT DISTINCT ',ISNULL(['+PAYMENT_TYPE+'],0) AS ['+PAYMENT_TYPE+']' FROM TEST_DATA_SRC GROUP BY PAYMENT_TYPE FOR XML PATH('')),2,8000)

set @query = 'Select 0 SAL_CACL,0 BONUS_CALC,0 COMM_CALC,name,' + @cols2 + ' into ##TEMP_TEST from

(

select name

, payment

, payment_type

from TEST_DATA_SRC

where name = '''+ @NAME + '''

) x

pivot

(

max(payment)

for payment_type in (' + @cols + ')

) p '

exec sys.sp_executesql @query--,N'@CUR_DATA cursor output',@CUR_DATA output

DECLARE CUR_TEST_FORMULA CURSOR

--Get the Update Query created for executing the same on the Fact Data

FOR

SELECT 'Update ##TEMP_TEST set '+ TGT_PAYMENT_TYPE + ' = ' + PAYMENT_FORMULA +';'

FROM TEST_FORMULA

OPEN CUR_TEST_FORMULA

DECLARE @Q_SQL NVARCHAR(MAX)

While @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

print @Q_SQL;

EXECUTE (@Q_SQL);

END

CLOSE CUR_TEST_FORMULA

DEALLOCATE CUR_TEST_FORMULA

What will be consuming the result sets from this stored procedure?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply